Got my surgeon Appt! & questions

Lisa H.
on 8/1/14 11:23 pm - London, Ontario, Canada

So I was waiting patiently (yeah right - phoned to find out appt on Thrusday and was waiting for a phone call back from the office).  I got it in the mail yesterday.   I don't know who it is yet, but the date is set for August 13th.    It's being more and more surreal with each passing appointment. 

Since I know there are only a few more appt's left to make before the "big day", I did have a couple of questions for those that have had it already.

1 - what are the things that you brought or should have brought with you to the hospital?

2 - Before everything, did you ever fear that you were going to fail? or not be able to do it? 

3 - Since i'm going to try and get a few things ready before hand (like premier shakes..etc), what are some things that I'll need to get? 

I know I'll have more at some point in time but right now that is all this girls brain can think of on very little sleep...lol

Hope everyone has a happy saturday and long weekend (if your lucky to have one).

Orientation Hamilton: October 6, 2013 ECG: March 4, 2014 Blood work: March 29  Ultrasound: April 4  Nutritionist: June 16 & July 4th  Social Worker: July 4  Internist: July 24  Surgeon: Aug 13

redviking
on 8/2/14 9:33 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Yay Lisa! I bet you can't believe the time has finally come!  I brought too much to the hospital...What I did use was socks, slippers, toothbrush & paste, face wash, hairbrush and elastic, phone charger. I also had a little netbook, headphones and a hard drive stocked with music and movies.  I actually listened to music quite a bit because my neighbour was kind of out of it and chatted to herself quite a bit. The music helped me tune out and relax.  What I didn't use was extra pj's, magazines, towels, shower stuff.   

Several times in the days before my surgery, I totally thought of backing out.  I would think, do you really want to do this, you'll never have pizza again. And then I would kind of laugh at how silly I was being.  They were momentary worries, just a blip in the radar.  I'm 11 days out now.  Not a vet by any stretch, so I still have momentary worries, that I might not dump and will therefore gorge myself on ice cream and ruin everything...but so far, so good. I feel great and I've lost 24 pounds since the start of opti. My friends and family are so excited for me, I know I have an amazing support group and I have a million options instead of that ice cream and that helps me feel better. 

I had all my clear liquids ready for when I came home. Juices, broths, sf jello.  Other things I recommend are little (250 ml) rubbermaid containers for preparing servings for clear and full liquids. 

Good luck! It will be awesome!

Sonja

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Lisa H.
on 8/3/14 6:14 am - London, Ontario, Canada

I can't believe that it's quickly approached but happy at the same time.  I always bring to much when I go away so that is why I'm asking...lol  I wasn't sure about Pj's, I've already started to get a few things organized for the trek down.  My hubby already downloaded all kinds of music/movies for me, so he's prepared in that aspect.  Although, I did buy a brand new pillow for me while I stay for the 2 nights and the drive home since it's a hour drive.

I've never thought of backing out once.  I want this, just that evil lil monkey saying what if you fail.  Then it'll be for nothing.  My husband has been awesome support and my other family members are slowly climbing aboard since they see I"m not backing out. Congrats so far on your loss, that's so awesome!

So far, I have my premier shakes (from costco), I just got my SF jello's today and I have broth as well that I was able to pick up when it was a steal of a price (love bargains!!!).  The only thing  i'm curious about are what juices?  I thought we couldn't have juice?

That's an awesome idea with the rubbermaids and just mentioned it to my hubby while I was replying and he thinks that is a fantastic idea!

Thank you so much for replying and answering some of my questions.  It is so much appreciated!

Orientation Hamilton: October 6, 2013 ECG: March 4, 2014 Blood work: March 29  Ultrasound: April 4  Nutritionist: June 16 & July 4th  Social Worker: July 4  Internist: July 24  Surgeon: Aug 13

Most Active
Recent Topics