Opti and High Protein Diet

DeeMishka
on 8/1/14 11:00 am
RNY on 08/08/14

Wondering if anyone else was ever taken off of Optifast prior to surgery and put on a low fat, low carb, high protein diet? I was on Opti for a week and every shake made me sick to my stomach and caused diarrhea it was not the taste because I actually had fun making them with different flavors and didn't mind the taste. So my centre told me to stop drinking the Opti and follow this other diet but I feel guilty and scared that my liver won't shrink enough for surgery and on Opti I only lost 5lbs and gained 1lb and the dietician said because my body was in starvation mode because I was only drinking 2-3 shakes a day. 

Wondering what everyone thinks about sticking to this new diet and then 2-3 days before my surgery going back on optifast and just suffering through it to try and help with the liver process. 

Also so another question is how are they going to know if it shrunk enough they never checked my liver so what if my liver was huge and they didn't know that.

sorry for the rant I'm just feeling scared and unsure I don't want to mess this up but I can't spend the next 8 days sleeping and sick all day when I have kids home for the summer and a sick husband.

sellarsgal
on 8/1/14 12:58 pm - Oshawa, Canada

There are people who can't drink opti. Some are allergic to the sweeteners and some people like yourself who cannot tolerate it. The low fat diet is going to help you lose weight. I think the OPTI has multi purposes, to help lose weight, to cleanse your system and to break you of cravings. They wouldn't put you on this diet if it wasn't going to work. They wouldn't waste their time! so relax and don't worry, Just stick to it and you will do fine :)

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/1/14 1:22 pm - Windsor, Canada

Do the low fat, high protein diet as it is outlined. Don't go back to optifast    You don't need to do that.  As long as you do your diet you will be fine  

When i I had my surgery I did no optifast.   I was fine. You'll be fine too. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

DeeMishka
on 8/1/14 2:25 pm
RNY on 08/08/14

Thank You very much I hope everything goes well and my liver has shrunk and I will see you guys on the losing bench soon one more week.

Maricw
on 8/1/14 10:16 pm - Oshawa, Canada

So hope this diet is so much better for you than how you were feeling with opti...I wouldn't worry to much about the scales, the Dr will be able to tell you were on diet..so if you do what they told you everything will be fine.. Been thinking about you and can't imagine having to deal with added sickness along with drinking the opti..feel better soon , hoping to see you at least before I leave on Sat morning....

Referral - October 3-2013 /  Family Dr. Confirmed - October  31-2013 /  Orientation call - November 11-2013 / Orientation (HRRH) -November 25-2013 / 1st  Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh) - January 14-2014 /  SW/RN/RD - January 17-2014 / Dr Glazer March 25-2014/ 2nd Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh)- April 10-2014 / Surgery date - August 7-2014

Karen M.
on 8/2/14 1:13 am - Mississauga, Canada

When I had surgery years ago there was no Optifast diet. I did a high protein, lowest fat, lowest carb diet for 7 days (well, I did it for 10 days, but anyway..). So basically I ate lots of lean protein and green veggies for the week. My liver was perfect, no issues at all.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

LalahRose
on 8/2/14 1:45 am - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

May I ask what the diet was? Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/14 10:56 am

Hi,

Hope things are better for you!  Optifast, in my opinion, is poison.  It is made of pure chemicals and so many people have had reactions to it.  I was able to follow a high protein diet before surgery and it helped my liver shrink.  It seems that in Ontario there is a huge reliance on this product before bariatric surgery. There are so many other alternatives available that do not have as many chemicals in it.  Good luck with surgery!

Most Active
Recent Topics