Question eating before/after working out

jen1016
on 1/14/14 10:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

I have FINALLY joined a gym and going to start working out after work.  What are some suggestions as far as eating before or after workouts?   I would be getting to the gym around 5:15 or so.  So I am not sure if I should have a yogurt or a small snack before going?  I cannot drink the Premier Protein drinks, but I am wondering if I found a protein bar that I could eat, would that be okay to eat after my work-out?  I would be going home and eating dinner, but certainly not right away.

I just want to make sure I get most out of my workouts, but I know I need to add more protein as well. 

Any tips, and advice would be great. I am almost 4 months out!

Caroline K.
on 1/14/14 11:49 pm

Hm. I go first thing in the morning, and have found I need to have something beforehand or I can end up feeling sick and dizzy during a vigorous workout. It doesn't have to be big, but a mix of carbs and protein seems to work well. Since you're going after work, it might depend upon when you last ate. Something small might be good, like a greek yogurt? I do know some people swear about having some protein and carbs within an hour of a workout to help rebuild.

kristaeb
on 1/15/14 12:01 am

I work out after work as well 5:30 pm. I eat after my workout. By the time i am done and get home its later in the day so that helps me. . I eat dinner and that helps with head hunger later in the evening for me. You may need something before you go. Try it out and see how you feel.Congrats and good luck.Krista..kiss

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

mona8
on 1/15/14 11:18 am - Kingston, Canada
I have a half of a Cliff builder protein bar while driving from work to the gym. I go in at 3 and work out for 90, minutes get home cook dinner and eat that at 6 each night. I need to take care that my blood sugar doesn't dip toouch, I work out pretty hard......I have those last 30 pounds to lose end hope to do so by my April 4th 1 year anniversary!!

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

Most Active
Recent Topics