Birth Control

tamara310
on 11/22/12 8:37 am

Hello,

What are the most successful method's of birth control that people are using? I went to the doctor today and he gave me a lot of literature. Pills are out and the three options are Mirena, Depo shots, and the Patch. I'm concerned about the Mirena as I have never had children and other side effects like weight gain, loss of drive, etc... The list of side effects are huge! I'd appreciate hearing other people's experience.  

Cheers,

Tamara

DonnaK12
on 11/22/12 8:40 am - Brooklin, Canada
RNY on 04/25/12

I used the patch before my surgery but after I discovered that I am allergic to the adhesive.  So I went with the Nuva ring and it's even easier then the patch.

Good luck

Angela D.
on 11/22/12 8:43 am

I used the pill before I had my RNY, and now used the depo shoot every three months. It is wonderful for me, however some don't like it. I get very minimal bleeding towards the end of my shoot (about a week before the next shoot).

I tried the patch, and found it irritated my skin and would not stay on for the full week.

The nurva ring, I didn't like the inserting and taking out part, and the ability to take it out for up to three hours a day freaked me out.

I didn't choose to go the IUD way because I do want more children eventually and don't like the risks listed.

It is a personal decision, just do your research on all your opinions.

willowraine
on 11/22/12 10:17 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13
I didn't even realize that depo was still used lol. Have you had any side effects with it? I tried it years ago and found I had crazy mood swings but am thinking about trying it again. I was going to get an IUD but my insurance company won't pay for it because they consider it a device, which is really frustrating, but they would probably cover depo so I might give it a try.
Kathleen11
on 11/22/12 8:53 am - Burlington, Canada

I'm not sure where you are in your journey but be careful with the patch. It's only effective up to a certain weight.  

NorthernStar
on 11/22/12 9:07 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I use NuvaRing and love it. I had side effects with several different kinds of pills and have had none at all with the ring. It's so easy, you think about it twice a month, otherwise forget about it. It's as effective as the pill (99%) but because it's so easy to use perfectly I suspect it's actually more effective for most people.

We also use condoms as a backup, I don't take any chances.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Jayme34
on 11/22/12 9:08 am - Canada
RNY on 03/13/13

I havent had surgery yet but was advised to switch from the pill to the depo shot but the nurse in the guelph clinic. I had the post op diet class and was told that women should use 2 methods of birth control after surgery UGH!

Guelph Registry July 17,11, Orientation July 27,2012, First appts with Rn,Sw and Dietician on August 14,2012, second appointments on Oct 24 , post op diet class on nov.20 Meet Surgeon January 28/2013 SURGERY - March 13/2013 with Dr. Jules Foute Nelong   

PatXYZ
on 11/22/12 11:10 am

It depends on the method. If you get a Mirena, a back-up method like a condom only changes your risk of pregnancy by 0.6%.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Teresa S.
on 11/22/12 9:58 am - Waterford on, Canada

My Dr and I went over all the options, and the nuva ring, was what she suggested, I tryed it, and I love it, it is great, and if you don't want a period, you just take it out after 21 days and insert another. It is easy and effective.

straberryz
on 11/22/12 10:22 am - Ottawa, Canada

ottawa told me to stay on the pil.......which freaks me out because i hear not to everywhere. I was told if it works for m now, it will post op.

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

Most Active
Recent Topics