four years, warning: long bragging post

nata
on 10/31/12 1:21 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I've been crazy busy last few days, so I almost missed my fourth surgiversary.

Well, here it is, we're four - my DS and I.

My life has changed tremendously in these four years. I've got Solo sky diving certificate, I run (twice) 5km fundraising run/walkaton, I ride horses, skate a few times a week, etc. I could never imagine doing all these stuff just five years ago.

I'm so grateful to an Ottawa DSer Jen F. (who used to post here years ago) for sharing her wls experience at our local morning show. I remember having my coffee and watching the show about a girl, who lost lots of weight and I thought to myself, " Jeez, it must be this advertised Lap Band thingy, does it really work so well?". And then the reporter said something like "it cures diabetes" and I jumped in my chair, The next thing I know I was deep into internet researching wls options.

Apparently, preop  I had very bad, uncontrolled diabetes, I was injecting huge amounts of insulin (up to 700 units a day), but still couldn't take it under control, my sugars went up to 23 with fasting around 13-14. I had severe sleep apnea (98 events/minute), extremely fatty liver (enzymes were off by a factor of 10 - what should have been around 30, was about 250,  etc.), kidney problems and PCOS.

I don't know what exactly are the stats for wls impact on these conditions, but four years after having my DS I can say - everything is gone! health vise I'm almost perfect, except for this friggin cold I've got last weekend. My vits are slightly off, but being insufficient (not deficient yet) in D or on the lower border of iron is NOTHING comparing to what my health used to be five years ago, when I decided to have wls.

Weight vise I'm bouncing around BMI of 24-25. Wearing size 8-10 and mostly medium. Gained just over an inch of height (preop in my surgeon's chart I saw 161 cm, at two years out in my bone density chart it was 164 cm, and it is the right number for today). I guess my spine was extremely deformed by heavy weight of abdomen/breasts. Most of my fat was concentrated in that area. After the weight was lost, my spine decompressed and straightened a bit.

I've got a funny collection of NSVs, from neighbors thinking that I'm the new wife and a step mother in my family to my father not recognizing me at the airport, but the best of all is that my six years old daughter doesn't remember me fat and when we look at  old photos, she thinks was just pregnant.

Do I have any regrets - only one - I wish I knew about wls and DS years earlier. Could have done it 10, 15 years ago...

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
chipmunk_roasting
on 10/31/12 1:31 pm - Ottawa, ON, Canada

OMG, Nata -- this is such an inspiring post.   *You* are such an inspiring *person*.

Thank you so much for posting this -- it's just what I need to be reading tonight.

Congratulations on your stellar accomplishment.

Your fan ...

Marilyn

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

nata
on 10/31/12 1:41 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks Marilyn,

I'm just so happy to have my life back!

Hope to read your bragging posts soon.

Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
BrendaMarie
on 10/31/12 1:50 pm - Canada

Thanks for sharing your amazing story.  I have been approved for the DS and awaiting a date. Should be in January or February with Dr Hong at St. Joe's in Hamilton.

Just wondering, where did you have your surgery? In Canada?

nata
on 10/31/12 2:11 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Congrats!

I had my DS in Detroit. At the time there were no DS surgeons in Ontario, only in Quebec, but getting surgery in US was the fastest option - a few weeks from application to approval and surgery (my wait was less than two months).

Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
ShallowGirl
on 10/31/12 3:48 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Awesome !  Thank you for sharing.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

nata
on 10/31/12 11:41 pm - Ottawa, Canada

broken heart

Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
MissGlitter
on 10/31/12 3:58 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12

Reading stories like this one gives me so much encouragement.  "I can be in her shoes in 4 years.."  You certainly sound like you are loving life and might I add the sky diving sounds F U N!

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

nata
on 10/31/12 11:45 pm - Ottawa, Canada

you will be in my shoes for sure!

and yes, sky diving is fun. I used to do it when I was much younger, but this sport has strict weight limitations... Now I'm back, though had to do the certification all over, but it's OK - more jumps.

Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
Monica M.
on 10/31/12 7:40 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

this is fabulous! congrats on your success!! i hope to be writing something similar in a couple of years!

Most Active
Recent Topics