5 Months Out and Embarassed by People's Comments

rmichelleb
on 9/23/12 6:07 am - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
I work serving the public and work very part time, I may go a week or 2 with no hours, but lately I have found it almost embarassing to work the front counter as customers who know me keep on commenting on my weight loss. At first it was nice but now it gets uncomfortable and I am tending to hide in the back and let someone else do the front counter.
I also don't know what to tell people who I don't know that well who ask me how much I've lost and how I did it. I usually either change the subject very quickly or I tell them that I have changed my eating habits and eat alot less (well it is no lie lol). I work in a very small town where I grew up and everyone knows everyone but I guess the rumour hasn't gotten around yet about my surgery. Not that I hid it from people, as anyone on my fb knows.
Its funny because when I first told people that I had WLS I thought their response was disgust but now I realize it's disappointment because they too want to lose that much weight and figure I had discovered a quick and easy solution to being overweight (Yeah like that will ever happen lol)
Did anyone else have this same problem and if you did what did you tell people?

Nikkismom
on 9/22/12 11:15 pm, edited 9/22/12 11:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
 H Michelle,
I've told people that I am on a very strict diet being supervised by a doctor and dietitian.  
Since I've been on so many diets with my weight up and done, that seems to satisfy them.
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
roxanne2801
on 9/23/12 6:41 am - Orleans, Canada
I haven't had my surgery yet but I know this might be an issue later on for me. Why did you not feel comfortable telling people about your surgery? Are people judging you? I'm trying to get sense of what I should expect once I have my surgery.

Dr. Dent - June 25, 2012; Info Session - Aug 24; Follow-up Dr. Dent - Nov 5; Abd. ultrasound - Nov 15; Blood tests - Dec 28; nutritionist/behaviorist - Jan 8; Dr. Dent follow-up - Feb 6; Pre-op info session - Feb 20; Meet Dr Yelle - Feb 26; Surgery - June 10, 2013 Dr. Yelle

Onward and
Downward

on 9/23/12 6:47 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12
I haven't had surgery yet, but it's happening soon, so I know I'll be faced with this as well.

I was going to keep the surgery a secret, but over the past few months, I've gone from secretive to telling anyone if they ask when the subject comes up that I'm having WLS.  (The only reason the subject comes up with acquaintences right now is because I'm going to be away from work for a month or two).

So I think that what I will generally do when this starts happening to me is to just tell people I had weight loss surgery.  That feels right to me, although I know disclosure isn't for everyone.  I figure that if I just tell people who ask, then it will a) stop the speculation, b) normalize the surgery option in the minds of people who are not obese, and c) make it a less scary option for those who might be considering it.

In fact, I would like to see weight loss surgery become as common and uncontroversial as heart surgery or cancer treatments.  I figure the way for me to work towards that is to be open about it.

I completely understand those who don't want to tell people they've had surgery, and just mention diet and exercise.  As you say, it's true, because we do diet and exercise after surgery.  But for me personally, I don't want to give people the impression that diet and exercise alone will help you lose 150 or 200 lbs.  Because then when those people hear about WLS, they might think, "Well, that's not necessary - I know so-and-so and she lost 150 lbs just by watching her diet and exercising!"

For me, this started out as a deeply personal and private thing, but if I'm successful, the results are going to be very public.  I feel very strongly that this is a necessary treatment that everyone struggling with obesity should have access to with our medical system, and the only reason it is so poorly funded right now and there is such a backlog is because of prejudice against obese people and ignorance in the general public about the benefits and necessity of this procedure.

I figure if I am "out" about it with people I know, then my circle of friends, family and acquaintences will have a real live example of someone that this surgery helped.  The more people with WLS that people are exposed to, I believe the more people will become accepting and supportive of this procedure.

It's interesting, how such a personal health care decision has become so political for me!

Please don't take this as me saying everyone should do the same.  This is what feels right for me, but I completely understand why others would want to keep it private - I did at first too!  And online here, I'm not using my real name or pictures (although I have no problem with meeting people here in real life - just don't want my medical info to be searchable on Google, and I might want to share a lot more details here than I would be comfortable with acquaintences being able to find).  We all have different disclosure comfort levels, and mine seems to be changing every day!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

SandpaperSandy
on 9/23/12 6:59 am - Kitchener, Canada
it is a matter of personal preference as to whether you tell or not.

it is no ones business unless you make it their business.

I didn't tell anyone that the loss was due to surgery, but did say I was under the supervision of a doctor and nutritionist.  If people surmised, so be it, but no one ever asked and I never shared with any co-workers or acquaintances.

avivaps
on 9/23/12 7:04 am
RNY on 02/28/12
 I made the decision early out not to be secretive however I do find that while I am open about it, I don't feel like telling EVERYONE the whole story - clerk in the store, receptionist at dental office that type of thing. It gets a little tiering. In those situations I often just say a lot of hard work and then some...

andrea

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Kerry F.
on 9/23/12 7:21 am - Bolton, Canada
It's a very personal decision to tell or not to tell.  When you open up about anything personal, you open yourself up to advice, skepticism, criticism - or (gasp!) even support. 
I decided in the beginning to only share with those closest to me who I knew would be supportive.  I did not want any ulsolicited advice or stories about someone's aunt/sister/neighbour who had surgery but then gained back all their weight.   As time went on and I became more confident and comfortable in my own skin (despite the bags & sags...lol), I told more & more people.  Because now I don't really care what they think.  My standard response when I don't wish to disclose that I've had surgery is:  "I've made a huge lifestyle change.  Changed my diet, added exercise and overall good, clean living."  Not a lie by any stretch of the imagination.

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/12 7:46 am - Guelph, Canada
 As someone else said I have chosen not to make my surgery a secret...

the responses I have had in the last 3 1/2 months have been mixed... From the you look great to the huh.. Took the easy way out eh?

i will say the one that confused and pissed me off the most was a co-worker who found out about my surgery and actually crossed the room to tell me that I was going to go to hell if I did not repent my sins and beg for forgiveness to The Lord because its a sin to alter our body....

now if you know me you know I can pull the ***** outta my hat in a heart beat... Without missing a beat I started crying and said.. "God damn it! That means I have to spend eternity you? Cause my god does not tolerate ignorance and intolerance" then the fake tears stopped and the TFB ***** if you don't like what I have done I don't remember asking for your opinion . 

Our fellow co workers now will literally step between us to keep us apart...lol thank goodness our work environment is set out that I really don't have to see her at all... Except during quartly meetings
sam1am
on 9/23/12 5:09 am
Love it Dee!    I usually think of these answers an hour after! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

mermaidz
on 9/23/12 6:16 pm - Brampton, Canada
Damn straight!.. Good for you!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics