Almost 8 months post-op (pic) & the politics of appearance

slrm2m2
on 9/9/12 8:54 pm - Canada
I'm coming up on 8 months post-op in a week's time. What a wonderful and crazy experience so far.....especially coming from a Health At Any Size perspective and as a feminist fat activist that embraced size acceptance. Not much has changed with my politics or analysis re: sizism. In fact, I have new empathy for all those life long skinny girls...they have been hurt just as much by the ideal beau ty myth as fat women have.

I think you can be fat and healthy.....it was just that I couldn't be fat and healthy (pain free). The hips still ache at times, but I can walk for hours now and I've got so much freedom back that I had lost. No regrets and much gratefulness. 

The power and politics of appearance are so interesting....same girl, different size, but the attributions people make about me now are different. Without effort, I am given a kind of social grace and inclusion that I had to fight for previously.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

RazzBJam
on 9/9/12 8:57 pm - Canada
Wow, that great!  What great before and after pics!!  Congrats on your weight loss!! :)

Btrue2u
on 9/9/12 9:09 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
You have come along way baby!!
4-Jane
on 9/9/12 9:41 pm - Canada
 I too would love to live in a world where size, skin color , class , sex nor sexuality, mattered.  I'm really working hard to sort this out as when I think of myself I don't see the fat womyn I see me.  It's when I see myself through other peoples eyes that I become big.  It's an odd feeling one that as I am consider altering my home made body to change I want those changes to be for the right reasons not for vanity nor clothes noR to become more acceptable in the eyes of others.  Maybe just maybe in achieving the goal to be healthy we can hold fast to the desire to address the isms that I believe are killing the very spirit of individuals.  I love your new hair cut, and am glad to know that your being mindful to remain a human being and by the sounds of things a good one at that.  Thanks for giving me food for thought. 
 Respectfully Jane
4-Jane
on 9/9/12 9:43 pm - Canada
 And congrats on the freedom
 Respectfully Jane
LessOfSarah
on 9/9/12 11:19 pm - Burlington, Canada
VSG on 11/30/12
I absolutely agree about the "life long skinny girls"...

I've never known one woman who has been happy with her appearance - not one. In fact, when I was in high school, I was by far the biggest, and had the highest self esteem of any of my friends (who were all very thin).

It's a myth that the "skinny girls" aren't affected by society's "ideal" beauty. The fact is that the ideal (Photoshopped) beauty doesn't exist - it's unattainable. But most women (fat, skinny, whatever) don't understand or realize that.

As women, we're all in the fight together on that one - no matter what size we are!

Congratulations on your success :)

Interested in my journey? Visit my blog at http://lessofsarah.wordpress.com
JJ_
on 9/10/12 1:37 am
Woohoo Sandy!  Look at you.  Congrats on your SV plus your newer ability to walk for hours and freedom.

Judy
cayleighsmom
on 9/10/12 3:51 am
RNY on 06/05/12
congrat's on all your victories, being able to walk for hours is amazing!!!  I could'nt agreee for about how things change as you lose wieght.  I'm not sure if people are treating me different, or if i am exhibiting more confidence, and enthusiasm, Which has a trickle effect on others.

you look great!!
Vi-Vi
on 9/10/12 4:03 am
VSG on 12/13/12
 Congrats! 
Janet13
on 9/10/12 5:56 am - Toronto, Canada
Congrats.
"I used to be SnowWhite and then I drifted"
"words come easy behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen"

Most Active
Recent Topics