Looking for some avice.

BluEyz32
on 9/7/12 9:48 pm - Canada
 Hi there I just joined last night i have a few questions on behalf of a very good friend. My friend recently had Roux en Y a couple of weeks ago. She has developed some kind of intolerance to dairy and this is causing her to have gas which causes great amounts of pain. Another effect we have noticed is that her taste buds have changed dramatically. Things she liked before she can no longer tolerate. My friend is struggling to get her protein requirements in daily however with the milk issue and no taste buds she is struggling. Does anyone know of anything that she can do. She has an intolerance to aparatmae and cannot have the sugar alcohols either. We have discovered this evening that she can have tuna and salmon to get some of the required protein in. I would really appreciate any advice any of you can give. 
mermaidz
on 9/8/12 9:47 am - Brampton, Canada
I am new to here but I will throw my two cents in. I do recall reading that you can develop lactose intolerance ie gas pains etc.

As for getting the proteins in, I am going to post a question about that so you might wish to have a look for the response to it.

Many of the folks on here are simply amazing when it comes to advice and support.

d
Moselle
on 9/8/12 9:47 am - Athens, Canada
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation. I have heard that some people become lactose intolerant after surgery and the taste bud changes happen to many of us.  I believe that there are protein drinks and powders that are or can be mixed with water instead of milk. She can also try using almond milk which isn't a dairy product.

I'm certain that there are others who also have this issue that will be able to provide other suggestions.
charolli
on 9/8/12 10:48 am - Canada
Has your friend tried any of the protien shakes......personally i use the Promasil milk chocolate powder from GNC....i put one scoop fo powder into 300 ml of almond milk....it is very satisfying and has at lease 50% of the daily protein requirements.

RW 272; OW 248; preopW234.5, CW 168
Referral August 2010, Ort May 25, 2011, Surgeon consult Sept 9, 2011, Surgery Nov 21, 2011

BluEyz32
on 9/8/12 5:58 pm - Canada
She can't really use protein powders and the drinks make her feel pretty queezy. I will suggest the almond milk to her that sounds like a good idea.
BluEyz32
on 9/8/12 6:46 pm - Canada
 She can't tolerate protein powders they make her nauseous. I will let her know about the Promisil a lot of the things she tries to eat now she simply does not like the tase of any longer. 
Cuter_w_Curves
on 9/8/12 6:37 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
May I ask why NO protein powders? That seems important to know.

And... Milk issues are typically Lactose issues. Has she tried a lactose free product yet to see what happens? There is everything from milk, to youghurt, to cottage cheese which are lactose free.

Yoptimal youghurt has a lactose free one that is sweetened with sugar but isn't as bad as some options. http://www.yoplait.ca/yoptimal/en/yoptimal_sans_lactose.aspx#

Promasil is lovely though it contains a milk protein isolate. I can't find out how lactose free or reduced it is. It is sweetened with Stevia, and Surcrolose (both are not aspertame, or sugar alcohols).

Another I've tried personally is Iso-Femme - can be bought at walmart if needed... 98.5% Lactose free. Sweetened with Sucrolose.

You said tuna and salmon... Soft foods stage now? If so... Scrambled eggs? Beans and/or lentil dishes and/or soups? If your friend cna hvae soy... To****oft not firm) in soup/broth?

I am not post op but I deal with food ingredient issues all day, every day...

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

nata
on 9/8/12 8:32 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Not all dairy has lactose - hard cheeses, kefir and yogurt usually don't, unless it was added. Sour dairy products are created due to bacteria EATING up the lactose, so in natural yogurt there should be no lactose.

Also widely available in any pharmacy  "Dairy Digestive" supplements - enzymes that help with processing lactose.

With regards to protein powder and taste buds... I had exactly same issue and found one tolerable product - Egg Protein from GNC. can be mixed with water -no need in milk, and the taste is VERY different from the Whey and Soy protein most people use.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Happysmile
on 9/9/12 3:58 am
Gas X strips really helped me during the beginning of my RNY journey.
Happysmile
Mary A.
on 9/10/12 8:39 am
is your friend moving enough...gas can build up when there is not enough movement also.

hoep she finds some relief soon!!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics