Freaking out today for some reason...

slrm2m2
on 8/24/12 8:24 pm - Canada
 I am overwhelmed with worry today that I am going to gain all the weight that I have lost back.  Here is a list of the anxious thoughts that have crossed my mind today...

I won't be able to control my hunger past the honeymoon phase. 
I'll eat too many carbs and become carb addicted.
My stoma will stretch and I will become a bottomless pit.
I'll forget the rules and start eating and drinking at the same time, leading me to eat more and regain.

Does anyone else have days like this?

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

girlgonewild123
on 8/24/12 9:42 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 Yes I have days like that.  I am 3 months post op and this week cravings started.  I hoped they would stay away.  I learned that the old feelings and behaviors are still with me.  I also have OCD and panic disorder and can easily get upset and carried away with anxiety. I need to remember that these feelings will pass.

I think your concerns are very normal and we just need to stick with what works and if we slip we pick up and keep trying.

Tracey in Ottawa
Ottawa34
on 8/24/12 10:30 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I have this feeling everyday, i'm 17 mos post op.
 Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/12 1:35 am
 I get concerned about weight gain and giving into cravings all the time. But if I stay focused and keep coming to OH I find it encourages me and gives me hope. 
Acknowledging your concerns is a good thing, being aware can only help you keep on track
Lifeinthecar
on 8/25/12 3:27 am - Canada
 Good post. I hate to say it but your fear and anxiety are justified. Fear is an important motivator that when managed through awareness can keep you in check. When ignored it will cause you suffering, emotional suffering and physical suffering. "Normal" people use this same type of fear not to gain weight. It is only the rare person who literally does not have to think about these things ( gaining weight). I believe that the anxiety is from not accepting the fear and using the fear to motivate you everyday. This, of course, is not the only mechanism that will/should continue to motivate you but it is a key one. 
 On my way        
highlandbear
on 8/25/12 5:06 am - Canada
 I have been out for a few years now and I still worry about gaining the weight back. I think I will always worry about it. there are only a few times that I truly feel hungry and that is when I have missed lunch and done a hard work out then I know i need to eat. I just make sure I have some nuts with me snack on those to tie me over to dinner. It is the head games that are harder. No eating and drinking gets easier as time goes. I don't even think about it now. If water is put in front of me I just leave it. It is a habit just to eat and wait. You will be fine. follow the rules and you will be okay break the rules and that is when problems start.
Bonnie ABC
on 8/25/12 5:22 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 It's reality of this surgery.  We all have those feelings, and some do come true.  Nothing to fear but fear itself, therefore work real hard to stay real.   Try to keep on track.   Don't let fear take you down a road you can't turn around from. 

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Monica M.
on 8/26/12 5:21 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i disagree about your statement "nothing to fear but fear itself" . that's a platitude. Her fears are realistic.

ShallowGirl
on 8/24/12 10:59 pm, edited 8/24/12 11:00 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I think the key words here are "overwhelmed by anxiety"
The what about is just rationalization, something the brain attaches to.

Make sure you are getting your B complex vitamins (they wash out with water), since absence of them can affect your nerves, and just do whatever you do to calm anxiety:

- warm baths
- warm milk
- 50 shades of grey
- etc.
- reduce caffeine

If your anxiety level is interfering with your life and home remedies, self soothers, aren't working, I would talk to your doctor. Based on your photos, you're a long way from falling into old habits.

Anxiety (like depression) happens, and there is medication !

Sometimes it's hard to imagine the future as the "new me" so we fixate on regaining the weight because that is the path we know.  

It's important to remember that there are no "Normies" and the goal is to have non-weight related goals.

Also don't worry about drinking and eating, that way lies vomitting not weight gain 

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Patm
on 8/25/12 6:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
You were over weight for a lot longer than you have been thin. It is normal to think you will go back to what you normal for you weight was. But whe realisation that this is the new normal and focusing on what is really important hopefully you will stay on track. You have a lot of people supporting you. Another way to get anxiety under control is meditation. It has been my life saver over the last 3 years

Most Active
Recent Topics