7 months post-op and figuring out maintenance

slrm2m2
on 8/18/12 7:57 pm - Canada
 Today is 7 months out from surgery for me!  I hit my inital goal and have kept losing.  I've got a BMI of 21.6 right now and I'm working on figuring out my maintenance diet .  Its actually hard work to meet my calorie goal at this point, but I'm getting there most days by eating almond butter, nuts, trail mix, flax seed and sprinkling full fat parmesan cheese on most meals.  

Its all been a  bit of a head trip since I lost so fast and started out as a lightweight with around 100lbs to lose.  I reached goal between months 5 and 6.  So far I've lost 115 lbs.  I'm wearing a the smallest size that I've ever worn in my adult life!   

I can see that I"m thinner, but to be honest, I'm really not sure how much thinner I look to others.  I do still glance in store windows to try and compare myself to other women walking by.  This helps me get some kind of size estimate for myself...am I bigger or smaller than this passerby?  Sometimes I am much smaller and I'm really surprised since I would not think that without the visual proof of the reflection in the window.

People do treat me differently than when I was fat.  I get a lot more looks from men and lots more doors held open for me.  I find most women are nicer to me, too, although I sometimes feel like some women that are bigger than me feel jealous or competitive with me.  I didn't ever notice that when I was larger and it kind of makes me sad.

My health is good.....high bp and cholesterol long gone now.  My arthritis is still there, but hurts about 80% less, so I am really happy with that.  So far all my blood work has been good, except for my recent one which came back with a low white blood count.  I'm going to do a repeat blood test at my doctor's request and see where things stand. I generally have much more energy than I used to and its so easy to move now.  I will say that when I get tired, I get really tired and I have to rest to recharge my batteries.  I will say that self care post-op is so important and I have so far, religiously planned and tracked my meals, drank my water and taken my vitamins.  It is work and I have to simply accept that this is what it will take to stay healthy and well for life.  I have developed a new normal and there is no turning back.
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Heidi S.
on 8/18/12 9:07 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 I'm so happy for you and I hope you find your maintenance diet soon. When you do please share with us. 

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Btrue2u
on 8/19/12 1:30 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
You seem like you have put it all together.  You should be very proud.    

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

slrm2m2
on 8/19/12 5:35 am - Canada
 Thanks for the positive comments, ladies!
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Megan M.
on 8/19/12 5:44 am - Canada
I am finding the head games the most difficult part of this journey.  I dont think, in reality, that there's any way to be prepared for it - you just have to work your way through it as it comes.  I kow exactly what you're talking about.  Good luck, you've done so very well.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Most Active
Recent Topics