what's the deal with caffeine?

slrm2m2
on 8/16/12 8:10 am - Canada
 I gave up caffeine entirely for the first 5 months post-op but caffeinated teas have slipped back into my daily life.  I love a chai tea now and again.  Is this okay or am I going to give myself an ulcer or something from the caffeine?  Why is it not suppossed to be good for post-ops?
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Karen M.
on 8/16/12 8:17 am - Mississauga, Canada
Well, some believe it can cause ulcers.  Others believe it will make you degydrated. Studies show that limited of caffeine show elsewise.  So.... I guess I don't know. LOL

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/12 8:19 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I think it's nothing more than a scare tactic that some centres use.  If it truly was that bad, all centres would say none but that isn't the case.  Am sure Pat will show up with studies that say that they don't cause ulcers.  I don't need a study for myself to know that but others may find it helpful.  She has posted it in the past for others.
Karen M.
on 8/16/12 8:21 am - Mississauga, Canada

I can't even tell you how hard I am laughing.  Good thing I'm at home.

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/12 8:23 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Hey I was being nice.  I think this time her study might be beneficial for those that believe it causes ulcers.  Now smarten up!!
Karen M.
on 8/16/12 8:24 am - Mississauga, Canada
*smartens up immediately*

*still giggles silently*

Karen

vanBee
on 8/16/12 10:14 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 07/25/12
 lol Karen, I am now laughing at you ! (or with you... you know what I mean)
First Referral (sent to the wrong place): September 17, 2011  ~  Second Referral:December 19, 2011  ~  EKG: February 3, 2012  ~  Abdominal Ultrasound: February 10, 2012  ~  Orientation: March 12, 2012  ~  Nurse Practicioner/Dietician:  April 18, 2012  ~ Internist: April 25, 2012  ~ Social Worker: May 3, 2012  ~  Endoscopy: May 3, 2012  ~  Surgeon Mtg: May 29, 2012  ~  Called With Surgery Date: June 20, 2012  ~  Nutrition Class: June 21, 2012  ~  Pre-Op: July 11, 2012  ~  RNY Surgery Date: July 25, 2012

Surgeon:
 Dr. Anvari

my angel is Monica M 
PatXYZ
on 8/16/12 3:15 pm
Thanks Tracey.

I haven't been able to figure out what happened to my bookmarks since the change to the website... I had saved a post where I linked to several studies and now I can't find it.

Caffeine does not dehydrate (coffee/pop/water are all equally hydrating according to multiple studies looking at urine output) and does not cause ulcers. Period. Caffeine will irritate existing ulcers, but it does not cause them.

The only caution any study gave that would be relevant to us is that NSAIDs taken with a hot, caffeinated beverage seemed to increase the risk of NSAID induced ulcers. It wasn't clear though whether this was caused by the heat of the beverage or the caffeine. It did note though that this only happened when they were taken at the same time. Even if you used both NSAIDs and drank hot caffeinated beverages, just seperately, there wasn't a jump in risk, so this seems to indicate that it may be more related to the heat than the caffeine (since caffeine remains in the body for several hours after consumption). Unfortunately the study didn't look at the effect of NSAIDs taken with cold caffeinated beverages, so another study is needed to determine this definitively. So if you must take an NSAID, don't take it with tea or coffee (or any hot beverage, caffeinated or not, to be extra safe)! 

Anyway, this is all to say there is no risk associated with drinking caffeine post-op. Enjoy!
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/12 3:19 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Pat,

You can get your bookmarks back in an HTML format and just save it so you can easily access them.  Not as easy as when OH had the bookmark option but at least they aren't lost completely.

Go to this link and follow the instructions, it's very easy.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4558521/Access-to-your-OH-bo okmarks/

I get tired of all the bad press caffeine gets by all the centres.  Am so happy my centre never thought of caffeine as the devil.
PatXYZ
on 8/16/12 3:35 pm
Thank you! That's really helpful, I had some important stuff stored in there!
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics