New in Ottawa - Timeline Question

KAT_P
on 6/5/12 7:52 am - Canada
RNY on 06/05/13
Hi everyone,

I've been reading all the wonderful posts on this forum since I first made the decision to ask my doctor for a referral for the gastric bypass surgery.  All of the excellent information and experiences I have read has really solidified in my mind that I have made the best decision.

My referral was first sent on May 1.  However, my doctor did it the old way and faxed in the referral as she hasn't had any new patients since the change to the on-line referral system.
I called Ottawa and it's good I called because my referral ended up at the liquid diet program at the Ottawa Hospital.  So they were very nice on the phone at the Ottawa centre and told me to ask my doctor to use the new on-line referral system.  My doctor is great and she did the on-line referral last Thursday but unfortunately the timeline has been set back by at least a month now.  They told me all the referrals from April and early May were sent a notice in the mail about the information session.

If there's anyone who has gone through the Ottawa process recently and could share their timeline, it woudl be appreciated. 

Thanks!
Susan_T
on 6/5/12 1:51 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Kat,

I'm in Ottawa too and waiting for surgery.I met with Dr. Dent at the Weight Management Clinic in January 2011 to find out what my options were ( I wasn't sure if I wanted to try the diet program or have surgery and needed some info and time to think things through). My referral for WLS was sent in in April 2011 and I attended an orientation session in June 2011. My next appointment was in April 2012 to see Dr. Dent again - to review laab results, etc. and see what additional tests I might need. I was sent for an ultrasound and booked appointments to meet with the behaviorist and dietician in May 2012. Now I am waiting for a call to hear that I've been scheduled for an education session and to meet the surgeon and eventually to be scheduled for surgery. 

The wait seems long but at least we are on our way!  Oh..and the timelines seem to vary quite a bit so could be shorter or longer for you. 

Wishing you lots of luck!

Susan 
Monica M.
on 6/5/12 10:48 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Congrats on getting thigns going! welcome to OH.

Catw
on 6/5/12 10:50 pm - Arnprior, Canada
Hi Kat,

I was about 18 months for timeline, but I'm almost a year out now.  And things have changes.  All I can suggest is that when you are given tests to do, book them as quick as possible, and put yourself on a waiting list.  The WLC in Ottawa doesn't have one, but other areas (i.e. for sleep tests) do. 

Good luck on your Journey, it does require a lot of patience, but it is well worth it.

Cathy

DebbieML
on 6/6/12 1:22 am - Gloucester, Canada
You can see my timeline below.  I was referred in June 2011, had my orientation in August 2011, and I have an appoitnment with a doctor at the WMC on July 2nd.
Debbie
Referal: June 23, 2011;  Info: August 26, 2011;  Dr.: July3, 2012; U/S: July 13, 2012;  Beh/Nut: Aug 13, 2012;  Ed class: Aug 22, 2012;  Scope: Sept 7, 2012;  Met with surgeons fellow: Sept 17, 2012; SURGERY: Nov 16, 2012 with Dr. Mamazza.  

cheeky_monkey
on 6/6/12 1:45 am - Ottawa ON, Canada
I'm pre-op and going through the Ottawa clinic.  My timeline is listed at the bottom. 
Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

cutekatie
on 6/6/12 1:53 am
RNY on 05/16/12
I was already a patient of Dr. Dent so I waited only two months between being referred and having my orientation.

I do know that when i had my orientation the wait was 8-9 months for further appointments.

It was 7 months between my first nutritionist appointment and my surgery date. 

So in line with the 12-18 month wait.

Now I did hear that the wait is getting longer but some people need more tests then others (scope/heart stuff/sleep study etc) and that will hold up things.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Diana B.
on 6/6/12 4:32 am
RNY on 07/20/12
Welcome to the forum!!

I'm going through Ottawa WMC and my timeline is below.
Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

Reidsmom
on 6/6/12 4:36 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 07/05/12
 Hi:

I am through Ottawa also.  I meet the surgeon next Tuesday.  My timeline is below.  I had a couple of follow up appointments that others may not need as my iron was very low. 

It's hard, Iknow but hang in there.  Time will fly by. 

"We underestimate damage done to the sky when we allow words to slip away into the clouds."  –Viggo Mortensen  

Jan.  2011 -- Referral to W.M.C.                                     Jan. 2012 -- Meeting with Behaviourist
Apr.  2011 -- Initial meeting with Dr. Dent                      Jan. 2012 -- Psych. evaluation
Jun.  2011 -- Sleep apnea test                                       Mar. 2012 -- Follow-up with Dr. Dent
Jun.  2011 -- General orientation session                       Apr. 2012  -- Follow-up with Nutrionist
Jul.   2011 -- Psychiatrist                                                May 2012  -- Surgery class
Nov.  2011 -- Follow-up meeting with Dr. Dent               Jun  2012  -- Meeting with Surgeon             
Jan.  2012 -- Meeting with Nutrionist                             July  5, 12  -- Surgery 

straberryz
on 6/7/12 12:58 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Im in ottawa too!

Referral: October 3, 2011
Central registry confirmation email: October 24, 2011
Recieved letter for orientation: November 15, 2011
Info Session: December 2, 2011
Nurse Appt:  got the call today June 13th

hope this helps, its a pretty recent referral. from what I understand the waits getting better

Most Active
Recent Topics