TMI but so uncomfortable I have no shame

rmichelleb
on 5/6/12 9:25 am - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
What can I do about hard stool that I cannot pass?
I've had problems with bm since the surgery (10 days), so I started taking restoralax on Friday. Today I think the restoralax is trying to work but I feel like I cannot pass a hard stool. I feel like I have to go every 10 minutes and strain and strain but nothing. There is some liquid coming out and I can pass gas but not this rock hard stool.
Do I need to go to the hospital?

Moselle
on 5/6/12 9:28 am - Athens, Canada
Do you have a Ducolax suppository that you could try? 
rmichelleb
on 5/6/12 9:31 am - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
Can I pick it up at a pharmacy or do I need a prescription?

Moselle
on 5/6/12 9:33 am - Athens, Canada
They are over the counter no need for a script.  Good luck.
rmichelleb
on 5/6/12 9:35 am - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
Thank you so much! Sending hubby out now.....this might be worse than asking him to buy tampons! Good thing he is a good sport!

Leslie W.
on 5/6/12 9:40 am - Cobourg, Canada
Sometimes if the stool gets too hard the "manual" method works. Gets some KY jelly lub your finger and go for it. I know it is not pleasant but hard stool is very hard to pass. Or try glycerin supp. They wont give you cramps. Just insert it beside the stool and not in it.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Monica M.
on 5/6/12 10:26 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
if the suppository doesn't work, you may want to try an enema. I used the mineral oil one, because my stool was just soooo hard, i thought some lubricatoin might help with it. worked. Now i try to keep on top of things, with stool softeners, lactulose and MOM if i need it.

jsut be careful not to become reliant on laxatives.

Manda M.
on 5/6/12 10:27 am
Enema. Trust me.

I was in your situation at 1 month post op and nothing else worked.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

PatXYZ
on 5/6/12 10:31 am
Hard stool is usually caused by not getting enough fluids. Have you been getting your 2L of fluids everyday? To prevent it from happening again, make sure you're getting plenty of fluids. A suppository is the way to go, but if it doesn't help by tomorrow you should go to the ER.
Monica M.
on 5/6/12 10:34 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
hard stool is also caused by "hanging on" to a BM for a while, the longer it sits in the lower part of your bowel, the more liquid that gets absorbed, that's where most of the liquid is absorbed, in fact.

Most Active
Recent Topics