A post earlier today opened my eyes...thank you!

Zer0
on 4/24/12 12:11 pm - Sudbury, Canada
I love this site! I am so glad that I read Derek's post from earlier today! I don't post new topics much but I do try to respond to posts when I feel that I have something to add that hasn't already been mentioned.
So, Derek's post from earlier today resulted in me being honest with myself and facing the fact that I am no longer sick with pneumonia and was using it and the weather as an excuse for the past couple of days. Prior to that I could only breathe shallowly and struggled with walks longer than a few minutes. I was feeling better, I had completed my course of antibiotics and decided it was time to get back on track!

I just wanted to post a thank you to Derek and everyone on this site for helping me to realize that I was justifying my laziness to myself (something I struggle with- In the past I often talked myself into eating food that I shouldn't have).
The end of the story is I went for my walk tonight like I said I would and I am glad I did. I am also posting, for accountability purposes, that I will continue with my nightly walks and walk once or twice a day at work.
Thanks again everyone- it is so helpful to read about others who have been and are where I am.
Kristen
Derek C.
on 4/24/12 12:25 pm - North Bay , Canada
 thanks kristen...I'm ready to hit the bandwagon running tomorrow as well

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/12 12:29 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Great inspiration to us all!
Monica M.
on 4/24/12 12:44 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
we all need to be more honest with ourselves.

I was talking to someone about how he motivates himself to run, and he says that he never asks himself "do i want to run today", because the answer is no. He doesn't ask himself, he just does it. By the way, he jogs with a blind guy. The blind guy goes out and runs. What's our excuse??

Mon

PaulaToronto
on 4/25/12 10:03 am - Toronto, Canada
Monica, that advise is so right.  If I get home and put on my work out clothes and running shoes I automatically go do the treadmill.  If I ask myself do I want to, of course the answer is no.  Sometimes it is best not to think and just do. That is exactly what I just did.  My bum and legs are hurting from increasing my intensity  and there is no way I would have chosen to go on the treadmill today.  However at 7, my workout time I just got up, put on my gear, watched the end of the news and started walking.  The pain actually improved.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

TBIYTC
on 4/24/12 1:58 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
I've been avoiding exercise.  Because of Derek's post, I got on the treadmill today for 30 minutes.  ere's something about his honesty, that got me looking at myself more hosestly!  Thanks Derek, and thanks Zer0.

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

ToNewBeginnings
on 4/24/12 9:12 pm
An accountability post sounds like a good idea.

350Ann180
on 4/24/12 10:37 pm - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
Amazing how we just put something out there, being honest with ourselves, and telling everyone what we are struggling with - and BAM - it helps so many other people!

I love this board!

Way to go everyone!

Ann

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/12 10:49 pm
I can't wait to get home and be in a safe neighbourhood that I can run in.
Walking around the office and down the short driveway sucks.
I was scared of starting the running again since running on the treadmill was so difficult to me (could be the 38 degree weather with no air conditioning), but when I got on the beach to run over the Easter holiday I saw my body did not forget.
I am thankful that those lovely endorphines return so quickly and we get back to enjoying taking care of ourselves with exercise.

Keep up the good work. I know when others share here I appreciate it too.
Most Active
Recent Topics