Food Question

tamara310
on 1/3/12 1:04 pm

Hello

I have a question. I am almost 1 month post-op. I can eat mashed vegetables, yogurt, crackers, soup, eggs, mashed beans (veggie burgers) etc. but I can't eat any meat. The minute I try something, I throw up. I'm worried about protein. Is this just a one-month thing or did anyone else have this problem? When did people start introducing meat into their diets? Maybe I am ahead of myself.  I have my nutrition appointment at TWH on the 20th. I've really been struggling trying to get the protein in.

Tamara

Lisa_Toronto
on 1/3/12 1:09 pm - Toronto, Canada
Hi Tamara.  I wouldn't worry about it- there are many good non-meat sources of protein:  beans, greek yogourt, protein shakes...   Some people end up never being able to tolerate meat and get along fine.  I'm just over a year out and still have trouble with most types of meat.  Ground meats are always ok, but other forms are just too dry or too chunky or too hard to digest for various reasons.  But I still get 70-80 g of protein in every day.  I'm sure your nutritionist will have some advice (mine always says "keep trying") but in the mean time don't sweat it...

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
tamara310
on 1/3/12 1:26 pm
Thanks. That's good to hear!

Tamara
Julie53
on 1/3/12 6:03 pm - Canada
Hi Tamarra,

You are not alone. I too will be 1 month post op and I can't have meat. I have tried several times and it doesn't matter if its purreed or chop up finely, it gets stuck and the pain is terrible.I can't even have ground beef / pork / veal. I have my meeting today for my one month post op check up and I'll be asking the same question. When I get my answer I'll let you know. In the mean time, do not worry.

Take care!
Julie 

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/3/12 7:25 pm - Windsor, Canada
A key for many people with tolerating meats is adding moisture.  Many people find meats too dry.  If you haven't yet, try chicken and meats in a crockpot. I've heard for many people adding moisture to it can really increase their toleration levels. 

And don't think that just because you cannot tolerate something now, you won't forever. Sometimes some days it just works and some days it doesn't. So wait a little bit and try, try again :) 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Monica M.
on 1/3/12 9:23 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
have you tried chili? That's a good source of protein, and the meat is practically already digested. Also, in case its a "head thing" the meat is pretty well disguised. (sometimes people get something in their head about not being able to eat something, and it subconsciously causes nausea)

jdance
on 1/3/12 9:53 pm - Canada
At one month out, i found meat very hard to eat as well.
It had to be really really soft and chili worked well for me.

didn't try any other meat for several months because it wasn't soft enough.

try chicken thigh, that's usually pretty moist, but again, i thought i would never eat chicken again and it's fine now. Just takes a little while to get back onto regular food again.

J

CC1964
on 1/3/12 10:23 pm - Lindsay, Canada
The nutritionist told our nutrition class to start with some lean deli meat. She says it tends to be softer and easier to get down.
Cathie  

Surgery - January 11/12        
Sharper
on 1/3/12 10:33 pm - Canada
How about baby food meats.  Mix it into some other food to make it taste better?  It's pure meat and very soft.  Just a thought.

samtq
on 1/4/12 12:05 am - Ottawa, Canada
On my plan I wasn't even to try meat until week 7,  At week 4 we could try canned salmon and tuna with mayo or mustard and after week 7 our meet should be deli sliced, canned, or cooked in a slow cooker for maximum moisture and minimum toughness. 

This was my surgeon's plan and I can tell you that it worked very well.  I had no issues whatsoever.

As for another protein alternative that I tried earlier out (I think around week 3) I made a chili with TVP which made me feel like I was eating meat but wasn't meat so it didn't have the connective tissue which is very hard on your pouch at this stage.

Good luck with everthing!

Sue
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151
Most Active
Recent Topics