how long can a stall last?

thunderwoman
on 10/7/11 9:37 am - Canada
i had surgery on July 4th and have been doing not too bad ( total loss of 65 pds) but have been in a stall for about 3-4 weeks.  I lost 1.5 pounds in 1 month and am thinking this is not going to work.  I have been very diligent with my vits and fluids as well as my meals. I am getting in from 750 to 950 depending on what it is I am eating. the nutritionist said that things seemed fine but I am wondering how the weight loss has been for some of the vets.  did it take a lot of time. I find this very frustrating and discouraging.  don:t get me wrong. I aqm very happy with the weight loss up to a month ago but keep thinking I must be doing something wrong.  I was to have had a session with the nurse practioner but it got cancelled again so will not see her for a while since it is the long weekend.

sorry to be a downer however hope someone can tell me not to worry and that this will pass.  thanks

ms_dar
on 10/7/11 9:40 am - Canada
Stalls last far too long sometimes. Just keep doing what your doctor ordered. The scale will move again when your body is ready, meanwhile chances are that you are losing inches.

tikvah
on 10/7/11 9:54 am - Canada
Don't know about stalls yet (I expect I will get them further down the road) but I do know that exercise is incredibly important.  The exercise I took just after surgery (26th August 2011) would be singualarly ineffective now.  Then I walked round the dog park just once per day now I walk it between 6 and 8 times per day with just one rest period in the middle. .  The body gets used to low calories and goes into starvation mode and you then tend not to lose weight  only an increase in exercise will stimulate it into using the fat store for energy.
Now I'm no expert on this and a professional would be able to give you a fuller answer and perhaps a more factual one but this is what I understand happens. Hope this helps.
Moselle
on 10/7/11 10:24 am - Athens, Canada
I found that I would lose 5-10 lbs then plateau for awhile then lose another 5-10 lbs. I think our bodies just need time to adjust.  Just stick the program and your tool will work. If you are eating the right foods, in the right quantity, taking your vitamins and drinking your water as well as getting in some exercise it will come off.  In my opinion stalls are the bodies way to catching up. 

I think we are all worried that the process won't work for us....but I can promise you as long as you follow the rules your tool will do the rest.

Keep the faith! I wish you continued success on your journey.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

Monica M.
on 10/7/11 11:11 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
have you been measuring inches?

Eileen C.
on 10/7/11 12:22 pm - Cornwall, Canada
Hi

Like everyone else is suggesting, take your measurements, if you are not losing pounds you are

probably losing inches, a stall will last as long as it lasts, I hear you

Your tool is working, but your body is adjusting to the surgery, the change in calories etc, it will

happen when it happens, you did not gain the weight in two months and you will not lose it all in 2, 3,

4, etc.

We all understand how frustrating a stall can be, try not to weigh yourself everyday, put away the

scale and only weigh yourself maybe the same day each week, say on a Monday, and measure your

body and see if there is a change

Take care and congrats on your progress, you are doing great

Eileen
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
CanDoItFour
on 10/7/11 12:25 pm - Canada
I was stuck in a stall at 3+ months too, and while my calories were OK, I noticed on my food journal (Fitday.com) that my carb intact had crept up to 45% of my calories rather than the 1/3 that the NUT. had recommended.  I made some changes by cutting back the carbs and upping my protein even more (keeping the calories the same), and the stall broke for me.  Definitely in my case the weight loss does work in fits and starts, but the % of carbs in my diet still makes a big difference in my results and I am 8 months out now .

Good luck
Claire
StevesGal
on 10/7/11 12:43 pm - Hamilton, Canada
I had one start at about 2 months out, and it lasted about 3 - 4 weeks.  The first one's the hardest, but rest assured, this is going to work - so long as you stick with the program, which it seems like you're doing.

Just forget about it, and get on with your life.  When it's ready, your body will start to let go again.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

thunderwoman
on 10/8/11 6:50 am - Canada
thanks so very much everyone.  i have noticed pants are looking baggy and just hanging there so i am losing inches. i only weigh myself once a week now.  i have been logging on my daily intake on fitday. will go back and look at what i have been taking in. i am trying to get the 40_30_30 rule so if that isn't the case then will adjust if need be. i will definitely hang in there and I am so very greatful for this gift and it is so true that the weight did not all appear in 3 or 4 months.  again thanks and have a great Thanksgiving.

Ottawa34
on 10/10/11 5:46 am - Ottawa, Canada
I've just hit my first plateau, and it's last 2 mos.  I can understand how you feel, i'm a little frustrated but still happy with all i've lost so far.  Keep up the good work and you'll see your body will kick back up and keep going
 Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Most Active
Recent Topics