BIPAP machine and surgery

Linda C.
on 8/13/11 7:38 am
I have a BIPAP machine - which is similar to the CPAP machines, but has two different air flow rates.  When I had my PATTS, they mentioned that patients with BIPAP machines had to be put in ICU.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Linda C.
_______________ My  is jennifer_rpn______________________________
Includes 72 lbs lost prior to Optifast;  additional 20 lbs lost on Optifast

trudylam
on 8/13/11 7:41 am - Sudbury, Canada
I had to bring my CPAP with me and they put me in the step-down unit after surgery.  It's one level of care below ICU.  It's the norm to bring it with you, don't forget it.
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 7:47 am - Canada
I have a CPAP and my family was told because of that I'd be in recovery for a longer period of time. I think this is another thing that varies from hospital to hospital. Better to be safe in the ICU than sorry.
Derek C.
on 8/13/11 8:06 am - North Bay , Canada
 great post  i have bipap as well never heard of this before ty for posting

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

NurseTammy
on 8/13/11 8:14 am - Hamilton, Canada
Please Please Please bring your machine! I had a roomie who snored like a chainsaw until she was told she had to wear it!!!
Tammy
328 - Highest Weight
305 - Surgery Weight- July 26th, 2011

sueberman
on 8/13/11 10:13 am
I took my cpap machine and I was in recovery longer, I took longer to wake up to - partially because I don't breathe deeply. 
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

teacherof4
on 8/13/11 11:00 am
I have a CPAP machine and I brought it with me to the hospital. It wasn't put on me until I was taken to my room. A respiratory tech came down to my room and set me all up. I was surprised because my pressure was quite high at 15, but I wasn't kept in recovery any extra time either.
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
laura S.
on 8/13/11 9:40 pm - London, Canada
Mine is a BiPap as well.  I had to bring it with me and they put it on me in recovery.  I wasn't put in a step down room or ICU though.  They put those little circular stickies on my chest attached to wires that fed into a little box that I wore as a necklace - and I also had one of those clips they put on your fingers to read your oxygen levels.  They called it a telemetry unit.  Basically that allowed  ICU to monitor me the whole time I was in the hospital.  That way all my vitals were still being monitored, but I didn't have to be in a special room.   A respiratory tech came to my room and added an attachment to my BiPap that allowed oxgen to flow into my mask as well as regular air. 

Laura

Most Active
Recent Topics