Question for those who have had their gallbladder removed

irol770
on 8/2/11 6:54 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I had my gall bladder surgery July 15th.  It was done laporoscopically and all went well for the most part.  Starting at about 2 days post-op I began having horrible pain in my upper abdomen on the right side right where my gallbladder would be.  It felt just like a gallbladder attack.  The only thing is it only lasts about 2 -3 minutes and then goes away.  I can feel it coming on, sort of a discomfort, gassy, bloated feeling.  Then it gradually gets worse, hits the high point where I am moaning and groaning and trying to figure out what to do to make the pain go away, and then it eventually dies down and stops and I feel fine.  Since the surgery, it is happening less...but still happening nonetheless.  I had this pain again twice yesterday.  It doesn't seem to be related to eating or drinking.  At first I thought it might be muscle spasms but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this after having their gallbladders removed.

I see my family doctor on the 10th and don't see the surgeon until probably the middle of September.  Any opinions or personal experiences are appreciated.

Thanks.
Glitter Text Generator

Karen M.
on 8/2/11 7:50 am - Mississauga, Canada
I had the same thing happen - turns out one of the stones snuck out during removal.  Back to the hospital I went - thankfully it passed itself.  It had become lodged in the bile duct.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 8:16 am - Guelph, Canada
 I was just gonna say the same thing... another thing... if i am typing up my shoes or (TMI.. changing my tampon) anywhere where my abdomen is squished i will get a cramp right in the insision area thats just under your breasts. and I am 9 years post op! from gall bladder... pre op RNY
irol770
on 8/2/11 2:09 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
Hmmm that is strange.  I do find that the pain sometimes occurs if I've put pressure on my upper abdomen like when I bend over.  I hope it goes away soon though.  A couple of times it ha**** while I am driving and then I have to pull over and wait for the pain to pass.  Ugh!

Thanks!
Glitter Text Generator

irol770
on 8/2/11 2:07 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
 I was wondering about that.  I will mention it when I see him again and maybe he'll send me for another ultrasound or CT scan or something.  Because it is so intermittent I wonder if maybe it is getting lodged and then squeezing back out again.

Thanks!
Glitter Text Generator

Karen M.
on 8/2/11 11:20 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Lori, it wasn't constant for me either - but all of a sudden a few days after surgery, it felt like I was having gallbladder attacks again (impossible I thought!).  I went to the ER and met my surgeon there.  They did a CT scan, among other things (it was a few years back now, memory foggy lol).  They admitted me, put me on morphine, did an endoscopy, etc.  They *wanted* to do an MRI, I kindly reminded them that I could NOT have one since I just had surgery with metal stitches (duh!).  Suddenly, after 3 days, the pain was gone and we are assuming it passed on it's own.  No troubles since, touch wood.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

missingmanny
on 8/2/11 9:26 am - Canada
Google: sphincter of oddi; it's a condition where, if you're taking a narcotic such as morphine or codeine causes pain where your gall bladder was...

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

irol770
on 8/2/11 2:06 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
 I've had gallbladder pain off and on for approximately 20 years.  Pre surgery, I was never found to have any gallstones and any hidascans I had done showed sphincter of oddi spasms.  I was told they could fix it with an ERCP however the doctor in town was only just "learning" to do that procedure so I opted to not have it done.  In any case the pain got better over the years and less frequent and so I just lived with it when it occurred.

My gallbladder was removed post surgery due to gallstones and also because a hidascan showed that it was not emptying at all.  When I discussed my previous gallbladder problems with the surgeon and told him what I was told...about the sphincter of oddi dysfunction he kind of laughed and said that that was basically a catch-all, go-to diagnosis when they can't find anything else wrong and that it wasn't really a "thing".  So I kind of felt stupid.  But I know the pain I had been having over the years was not nothing so I just ignored it since he was going to take my gall bladder out anyway.

In the past when the sphincter of oddi started to act up I would have the pain for hours and the tenderness for days, so even though this is the same pain, it is a much shorter time span and no real tenderness afterwards.

Thanks for your opinion though.  It really helps to hear from others when I'm trying to figure this all out.  

Glitter Text Generator

Sharon D.
on 8/2/11 2:52 pm - Guelph, Canada
Good Luck Having your gallbladder out has completely changed me. I haven't had the surgery yet and I lost 55 pounds. My Dr says that it takes the body a long time to get used to not having a gall bladder anymore. I get pain too. Mostly it is because of something I have eaten. It oftem happens. Goodluck with your issues. By the way my surgery was March 10th. I went to the ER six times before that and then finally called in and Er surgeon. Hopefully this helps.
Best Wishes
Sharon
Dr Referal October 3/10     SW NUT AND NURSE June 10/11  8am
Orientaion was March 10/11 Upper GI April 13 9am-10am HPylori Test - Negative CPAP -done
Ultra Sound -March 3/11All other tests are done!!!!! Next Appt Aug 15/2010

Most Active
Recent Topics