Bowel Intussuseption?

irol770
on 7/17/11 11:41 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
I've been reading some stories on OH about this, which are kind of scary.  I just wonder if any one else has recently had to deal with this.  I know that sometimes it can correct itself, so maybe people have it and don't really know.  I wonder if they will watch me more closely now that they've had to correct it once.  And I wonder if you are more susceptible to it happening again if it has already happened once.  Have any of you dealt with this, spoken to a doctor about this or have any further info about this?
Glitter Text Generator

Mary A.
on 7/18/11 12:57 am
okay so your post indicates that this Intussuseption is what you had/have????  is that the same thing as twisted bowels????

did you ask your surgeon or doctor what ar ethe chances of getting it again???  I haven't heard a lot about it at our local support group..although I know that a couple of people have dealt with it.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Gabygee
on 7/18/11 1:06 am - Canada
I had an intusseption years ago which had to be surgically removed (the tissue had become necrotic and gangrene was starting).
I asked my surgeon about it, and he asked some very detailed questions, like where exactly was it located in the bowel, how much did they remove, had I had any further complications, where was the scar, etc etc.

I was relieved to know that he was staking it seriously.

Then after the RNY I enquired of him whether it (or my hernia surgery) had made any difference in what he had to do to my innards for the RNY, and he was glad to report that there were no adhesions or anything else that required him modifying his textbook approach to this surgery.

I've since gone for my second follow-up, adn he still asks about the performance of the bowel and any ancillary issues - and I am pleased to report nothing unusual.

Does this help you?

irol770
on 7/18/11 1:26 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
When I had my gallbladder out on Friday he was also going to look for a hernia on the advice of Dr. Pitt in Duluth.  When I woke up the nurses told me that he did find and correct a hernia and he also found that I had a bowel intussuseption which he also corrected.  He is now going to send me for an uppper GI series with a small bowel follow through, but I haven't been given an appt yet for that.  I didn't actually talk to the surgeon because it was only day surgery and he was in the OR all day so I didn't get to see him before I left.  I don't see him again for 6 weeks when I go for my follow up appt.  I will ask questions then, but until then I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what the likelyhood of it happening again is.  I had discomfort and though there may have been something wrong with my bowels due to bathroom problems.  But I was also constipated because of iron tablets.  I asked my family doctor about paralytic bowel because I was sure there was something, but she assured me that if I had any kind of blockage or whatever that I'd be in intense pain, and only a couple of times I had intense pain that went away within a half hour...the rest was more just discomfort.  So I'm afraid that if I had it again they wouldn't find it right away and it would end up going necrotic like the writer above.  Just trying to gather info.

Thanks.
Glitter Text Generator

PatXYZ
on 7/18/11 6:08 am
By a weird coincidence I was just reading about intussusception last weekend. Yes, that is how I spend my weekends.
It sounds like it was corrected by manual manipulation by the surgeon and that the tissue was healthy and there was no major blackage caused, which is all really good and sounds like you didn't have it for very long. Failure rates and recurrence rates are low and tend to occur in the immediate post-op period, within 24 hours. So if you're feeling ok and having BMs, you're pretty much in the clear. It you have serious pain, then head to a hospital.
Did he diagnose a cause for it? If it is caused by an underlying condition, there is a higher chance of recurrence, but if it is idiopathic than there is not. Either way, it still isn't likely.
In this case, your surgeon happened to catch it when he was having a look at your innards already, the odds are though if it were to reoccur it would get to a much more advanced stage before you know you have it, as they do inevitably, eventually, lead to a blockage. They usually try treatment by enema first in that cir****tance and only if that doesn't work do they open you up for surgical options. There isn't really anything you can do other than never ignore serious pain.
Most Active
Recent Topics