gallbladder gone and other fixes

irol770
on 7/16/11 8:20 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I went in yesterday at about noon and had my surgery just after 1:00.  The doctor was going to look for a hernia on the advice of my wls surgeon from the states but said he didn't think he'd find one.  But when I woke up it turned out that he took out my gallbladder, fixed the hernia that he did find and I also had a bowel intussuseption which means my bowel was kind of folding over on itself like a telescope.  So he straightened that out too.  I will have to go for another test now to make sure it stays that way. 

I wasn't able to pee afterwards for some reason so I was stuck in the hospital until I did.  The day surgery area was closed but the nurse stayed overtime just to look after me.  I was the only one there!  LOL  By 10:00 PM she decided to move me back to recovery so she could go home.  I still couldn't pee.  Finally I did manage to pee about 400 mls but when they did a bladder scan, it showed there was still about a litre in there, so the Dr. ordered a catheter and said I could go home after that but to come back if I still couldn't pee or if my bladder got distended again.  When they catheterized me, the nurse got another 1300 mls out, but I felt much better after that!

Today I am very sore.  I've been running around for the last little while, probably did too much walking, and now I'm really uncomfortable.  Gonna go relax now.
Glitter Text Generator

Nathalie_Can
on 7/16/11 11:50 am
wow, that's quit the adventure....Hope you feel better soon!
Take care!
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

linda11665
on 7/17/11 12:40 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 Hope you get better soon.... Question the bowel intussuseption, is that due to WLS?

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
irol770
on 7/17/11 11:37 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
I don't really know actually.  I was researching it a bit since I got home.  I read a lot of horror stories which makes me not want to read anymore.  Apparently it is very rare in adults normally, but it seems like it is more common in people who have had WLS...however I am not sure if it is WLS related, abdominal surgery related (like it could happen after any abdominal surgery) or weight loss related (like it could happen if you lost over 100 lbs without surgery).  I don't see the surgeon for a follow up for 6 weeks, so I'll ask him then.  They want to send me for an upper GI series and a small bowel follow through.  I'm not sure what that all entails but I will do what I need to do to make sure it doesn't recurr.  I hope that if I ever have issues in the future that they will look to that first though, because I hear of people who have it but the doctors test for everything else first because they don't think that could be the problem.  It's kind of scary.
Glitter Text Generator

Most Active
Recent Topics