Gallbladder surgery - questions

irol770
on 7/13/11 5:12 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
So after almost being squeezed in for surgery twice, and having my actual booked surgery moved once, it looks like I will be having my gallbladder out this Friday.  I have my pre-admit appt booked tomorrow at noon, but haven't actually talked to anyone about the surgery specifics, I have to have a pre-op exam done at a walk in because my doctor is on holidays, and doubt I'll talk to the surgeon beforehand, so I am not quite sure what to expect.  I know lots have had this surgery so if you have any answers for me, I'd be ever so appreciative.

I'm not terribly worried about the surgery.  I am not anticipating a lot of pain but am curious as to what exactly I should prepare for.  I know they pump your tummy full of gas...is there a lot of discomfort related to that? Will I need pain killers afterwards or is it pretty manageable with just tylenol? 

Are there foods that you have to avoid after surgery, or a certain type of diet that has to be followed?  I ask because I've read that red meats should be avoided after gallbladder removal.

I'm anticipating taking a week off work from my desk job, but is that necessary?  I may take it anyway, just to have the break!  But realistically if my surgery is done on a Friday, when would it be safe and comfortable to go back to work?

Is there anything that I should know or be prepared for that I may not be anticipating?

Thanks for any help.
Glitter Text Generator

KristieA
on 7/13/11 5:25 am - Orillia, Canada
Hi Lori;

I had mine out 10 years ago. My son was 18 months old and I was single Mom. I managed, but it was hard. I recall going back to work part days around 3 days post op, but only because I had no choice. No one would be paid if I didn't process the payroll...lol. If you have the weekend to take it easy, you may be OK by Wed or Thurs to do some work. I wouldn't aim for a full day though. Everyone is different. You've had lap surgery so there shouldn't be any surprises I would think.

I don't think there was a special diet or things I had to avoid. I know I wasn't overly hungry and stuck to simple softer foods for the first week. With having RNY I am sure you can't eat the things that would be bad anyway like high fat etc.

The only weird thing I remember was that they put a hole near my belly button for one of the instruments and it got infected a bit. Just make sure you take care of your incisions (similar to the RNY ones).

You will feel a million times better when that pesky thing is gone!!! Gallbladder attacks are NASTY. It ranks up with kidney stone pain and child birth.

Hope all goes well.

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 6:03 am - Guelph, Canada
 I had mine out in 2002 and have been fine... you are right about them pumping your tummy full of gas and it hurts until its all gone.. I cant take a lot of medications so I rode it out with no pain meds at all and I was fine after 3 days with a new born daughter i was ok to resume her full care.

I have not avoided red meats and was not advised to do so post op either. the only think I have noticed is post op if I lie on my left side I get a cramp feeling in the middle of my chest. 

(TMI MOMENT)
when I am changind my tampon i will get a charlie horse in my chest muscles and that never happened pre op. the doc said its cause there is a little scar tissue from where they inserted the instruments. no biggie... bear in mind that I am pre WLS so the charlie horse feeling could be cause of my weight too 
Leanne1
on 7/13/11 6:38 am - Newmarket, Canada
I had my gall bladder out 8weeks after my RNY.

IMHO, it was wayyy more painful (probably mostly from the gas and the fact that I was only 8weeks post RNY) then my RNY, I was in bed for a week. They gave my oxycodone for pain but I hardly used them, only when the pain was really bad and/or only at night to help me sleep. I didn't want to become dependent on taking them.

My diet hasn't changed and I still eat red meats with no issues. I eat steak and burger

I went back to work after using my 15week EI benefits (between the 8 weeks I took for my RNY and 7 for gall bladder). I didn't have to take that but I told the dr that's what I wanted due to my job. He wanted to give me 4 weeks off.

I suggest taking your time to heal If you feel up to going back asap, just be careful

highlandbear
on 7/13/11 10:30 am - Canada
I had mine out last Aug. It was no big deal. As long as you are not doing any heavy lifting you can go back to work on Monday. I had mine out on a wed and Sunday i was up North setting up tent for camping. Well my husband set most of it up. I did help. The only problem I ran into was having a bowl movement.  I was constipated real bad.  As for food I could eat what ever I liked as long it was on my diet for the RNY. Good Luck You will be fine
Mary A.
on 7/14/11 2:34 am
Lori when I had by RNY my roommate had had RNY & her gallbladder removed..needless to say it could have been (2) surgeries at the same time, but this woman was in pain and eveyrtime they asked her her pain level it was ALWAYS a 10+....she rarely left her bed in the almost 3 days we were together..hence I couldn't spend enough time out of my room so I didn;t have to listent o the complaining...BUT...once again everyoen's pain tolerance level is different.

You have been through the abdominal surgery once now...so I wouldn't expect anything that you haven't encountered before and DO take the week of...they will be cutting through 7 layers of muscle, tissue fat...and you could use the break, desk job or no desk job..and you will still be limited to what you can lift..so no pulling clothes out of the washing machine etc.

As far as the diet afterwards..check with the staff...theys hould be able to give you the most dependable repsonses.

all the best~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics