OMG I've been eating so much junk

irol770
on 6/28/11 6:14 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I am writing this only to be accountable to myself and my bad actions.  However I understand that some people will be angry and feel that I am taking advantage of the chance I've been given...and i guess I have been.  But I'm hoping that by putting it all out there, I will be able to be objective to myself and nip this in the bud!

I'm finding that for the last couple of weeks, with the start of summer (FINALLY!) that I'm falling into bad habits.  Between the barbecues, bonfires, visiting with friends and driving kids around to their various sporting events I've given myself permission to have the occasional snack of chips or the odd candy or 2 (or 3 or 4) or an occasional cookie or some ice cream.  And for the most part that doesn't worry me.  I am not going to freak out if I have one cookie every once in a while.  The problem is that with the nice weather and visiting, the junk food is more prevalent and therefore I am doing it much more than I want to be.  I don't plan it and my mind says it won't hurt once in awhile, but when I look back at my week and realize that it has been 5 days out of the past 7 that I've allowed myself a treat I get worried.  It is becoming far too easy.

so now back to square one.  No more treats.  At least not for a very long time.  If I'm visiting with people I'll have to be sure to have healthier things on hand...fruit, veggies, cheese slices, whatever.

I still have a goal to lose 20 more lbs and I plan to get there! 

Thanks for letting my gripe...now to get back on track!
Glitter Text Generator

birdiegirl
on 6/28/11 6:27 am
Hi Lori

Mindful eating is important so good that you are aware of what you are doing to yourself

One of the most important things to keep me on track is journaling my food.....I do it every day...still....

So if I am having a poor eating day - I see it in black and white...

Good Luck

barb

irol770
on 6/28/11 10:51 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
Thanks Barb,

I don't consistently journal my food, but I do it on an occasional basis for a few days or a week just to see where I am.  I will start doing that again.  I wasn't just journaling though, I was counting calories, carbs, protein and fat which took a lot of time and effort and then caused me to eventually stop.  Maybe if I just write down what I put in my mouth and not worry about numbers, it may be easier to continue.
Glitter Text Generator

birdiegirl
on 6/28/11 10:55 am
Yes I can understand that you dont want it to be onerous...

I count protein and calories only.....I dont eat many simple carbs anyway so I dont worry about the carb total....really I just get it down to calories - and I eat about 1200 - 1500 per day....and usually over 100 grams of protein per day

Good Luck

Barb

Quinns_mommy
on 6/28/11 6:52 am
Good for you for getting back on track! You can do it!

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
irol770
on 6/28/11 10:55 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
Thank you.  I think I can do it too!
Glitter Text Generator

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 8:02 am - Canada
 how do u have cookies candy or ice cream on rny?

dont u dump???

unless its sugar free???
ericaFG
on 6/28/11 8:12 am - Cambridge, Canada
Mike - my understanding is that only about 60% of Rny patients dump.  And for some of those - they don't dump on a small amount.

My surgeon told me - keep the treats for holidays.  I've also heard people say that maintenance can happen by picking 2 days as "cheat" days where you allow yourself a little treat (not a gorge, but a glass of wine or a cookie etc.) If it's not one of those days...you don't eat it.  

Would one of those strategies work?  I like having something else to nibble on - but I still find it hard when the "treat" at the party looks SO much better than that pack of almonds in my purse!  Sometimes I'll end up eating the almonds AND the treat! lol  So think about what treats you pick!  I find SF candy helps me somewhat - as I often crave the sweet stuff.  Those places are often where I'll cave and have a diet coke - it takes me HOURS to drink a can, and it is sweet, and it makes me feel full and bloated!  Great strategy for staving off junk food!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Karen M.
on 6/28/11 9:11 am - Mississauga, Canada
Actually, it's closer to 30%.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

PatXYZ
on 6/28/11 10:15 am
At my orientation 2 weeks ago at TWH, they told us the most current number is 50%. Do you think each centre gives out statistics specific to their patients?
Most Active
Recent Topics