I ran!

irol770
on 6/15/11 9:52 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
On Sunday I went out for my first run in about 8 years!  I managed to run 1.4 km before I had to stop and walk for a bit.  Then I ran .5 km more and then walked the rest of the way.  On Monday my calves were soooo sore!  But I felt like I really accomplished something and decided I was going to really keep this up and see how far I could go.  So yesterday, Tuesday, I went out for another run.  I put on my ipod, grabbed hubby's GPS so I could see how far I was going and how fast (although that wasn't as accurate as I hoped because it took into account the movement of my arms back and forth).  Anyway, I ran a little slower yesterday than I did on Sunday and I went 2.4 kms!  I stopped because I was home...but I maybe could have pushed it to 3!  It took me just over 17 minutes to go as far as I did.

I was a little disappointed today I discovered that I only burned about 160 calories doing that.  It was only about 1/3 of the time I would spend at the gym, but much more aerobic so I thought it would be more.  At the gym...according to the machines anyway...I burn btw 400 - 500 calories in the 45 min to an hour I'm there.

Well, if I can pu**** a little farther each time then it will increase the number of cals I burn.  Who knows...maybe by next summer I'll be ready to run a 5 km road race....or even 10 km! 
Glitter Text Generator

Lil-Stinker
on 6/15/11 10:09 am
very nice - thats a lon g time to run without stopping for your first time out in so long!
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
irol770
on 6/17/11 11:27 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
Thank you.  I was surprised but happy.  I lied a bit...I actually tried to run about 2 or 3 years ago when I was still heavy and trying to lose weight.  I could barely run for 30 seconds at a time and ended up with really bad tendonitis in my knees which made walking difficult and painful for a couple of weeks.   Because of that experience I was afraid to try running again, but now I'm excited!
Glitter Text Generator

linda11665
on 6/15/11 11:10 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Okay, let me get this right you RAN.....  You ran, You have accomplished soooo much.  Why worry about how many calories you have burned.  Re read your post, seriously , you RAN.....CONGRATS..

I wish I could run again.  I haven't in 16 years.  So please don't see it as a disappointment, see it as an amazing accomplishment.

YOU GO GIRL :)

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
irol770
on 6/17/11 11:28 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
You are right of course.  I was just thinking that because I was breathing so hard and my heart was pumping so fast, the calories would be more...but no big deal.  I can work up to running farther and faster eventually.  I am proud of this accomplishment.  Thank you!
Glitter Text Generator

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 11:20 am
Since you have an iPod use the podcast "couch to 5k" and it will get you running easily in no time. I never had any pain especially since I stretched after the run. It isn't about going the distance when you start, it's just about getting out there safely and easily. It is a great program!
Keep up the good work.
irol770
on 6/17/11 11:44 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
I have the couch to 5K on my blackberry but didn't use it.  I know that I can do 45 minutes on the elliptical at the gym...well probably longer but I get bored and then switch to walking on the treadmill for the last 20 minutes.  But I've been afraid to try to run again and finally just did it.  I wanted to see how far I could go before I had to stop.  The first time I thought my heart was going to beat right out of my chest!  LOL  But I went a big slower the second time and it was good.  My calves were sore but good sore...like they got a work out.  The same as how your pecs get sore when you do push ups.

Thank you!
Glitter Text Generator

izzyw13
on 6/15/11 11:38 am - Mississauga Ontario, Canada
if you can...get RUNMETER it is an app for smart phones..you will LOVE it..
keep it up..I ran my first half marathon in may and i am going to New york for the full marathon...from 284 lbs to Marathon running...who would have thunk it!!!
RUN FOREST RUN!!!

Isobel....
isobelsmall.gif picture by lynnca1972

irol770
on 6/17/11 11:47 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
I will look it up. I did have my blackberry with me because I was running by myself and worried that I might pass out or something!  LOL!  Good for you running and half marathon and soon a full marathon!  That is amazing.  I'd like to try to do that some time.  I think after getting in shape my next hurdle would be getting bored.  How do you keep running for so long and not want to stop just because its becoming monotonous? 
Glitter Text Generator

Sirene
on 6/15/11 10:04 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I was almost in tears reading this....(must be TOM) but seriously.....that is friggin awesome!!!

That is one of my goals also. I never felt so good about myself as when I was able to run 5km and that was even when I was down to 220lbs.   I have tried so many times at the weight I am now but my hip just cant take the weight. I am so stoked to be able to get out and run again!!

I will do the 10km with you next year!!!!
(ok...well proving I finally get my surgery this year!!)

WAY TO GO, LORI!!!!

Jennifer  

Most Active
Recent Topics