Confused

TrishwantstoLive
on 6/11/11 2:46 am - Ennismore, Canada
 A co-worker referred me to this site. He thought it would be a great place for me to get some information on the bariatric surgery.  I have been wanting to get the surgery for quite some time but haven't had the courage to do it. I have researched many options and have spoken with my physician.  He talked with a co-worker of his in Toronto that works in one of the clinics and he advised my physician that it was very costly to do it outside of OHIP but if I wanted OHIP to cover it that the waiting list was about 6-8 years.  I can't wait that long. After talking with my co-worker that just had the surgery he stated that the 6-8 year waiting list is BS.  My doctor is somewhat clueless on what the process is and how to go about it.  I would appreciate any information you all could give me!!

Thanks,
Trish
Peterobrough, ON
Tanya T.
on 6/11/11 2:58 am
Hey Trish,

This is a great site so informative and the people are extremely helpful and nice. I am still waiting for surgery but my referral was in October 2010 it hasn't even been a year I just need to meet the Surgeon have my NUT class and surgery.
Don't quote me but the average time for the process is about a year depending on your health, clinic, etc.

Hope this Helps and Welcome!!!

Tanya

Tanya

Susanne S.
on 6/11/11 3:16 am - London, Canada
I understand that.  I debated for a year and then took the plunge and applied.   It's not that long in Ontario.  I applied April 2010 and I meet my surgeon in July and was told August surgery.  All in all will be from time of referral till surgery about 16 months.    I know at the beginning it seemed like a long wait and since I went into the yellow book (approved for surgery all tests done) its felt like a long time too (that was January), but the waiting time has really prepared me and I've come to understand myself and this lifestyle change better.    You need to apply to a bariatric centre (Guelph, Windsor, Hamilton or Toronto hospitals) then you get onto the waiting list for the manditory group class, and then begin with some tests and then meet  the team (nurse, social worker, dietician).

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/11/11 3:16 am - Windsor, Canada
The doctor is wrong. The waiting list is generally under 2 years.   He logs into the bariatric registry, gets the paperwork to submit there.  It's explained on the site I believe.

Give your doctor the sites:

www.bariatricregistry.ca
www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca

Great resources,

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karen M.
on 6/11/11 3:25 am - Mississauga, Canada
Dawn, off topic - I know your husband has been going through the process.  Is he close?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/11/11 3:40 am - Windsor, Canada
Awww. Thanks Karen for asking.

He's finished most everything in Windsor and got his approval at this end and his name has been sent to Guelph.  They are back logged so it will be a while they said.  He has surgical class July 7th I believe which I will attend with him :) 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karen M.
on 6/11/11 7:00 am - Mississauga, Canada
Can't come soon enough for him I'm sure - it seems so long ago he started this process. Looking forward to positive updates!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

trudylam
on 6/11/11 3:33 am - Sudbury, Canada
After talking to some people on the boards I think you will find that the average wait is just about a year.  I was 13 months from the time of referral to my surgery just under 2 weeks ago.  It seems like a long time but there are alot of things you'll have to do in that time (medical testing, education classes).  It also gives you an opportunity to research your surgery and try to adjust to the lifestyle changes that are required.  I would suggest that if you drink alcohol or smoke that you stop those now because that will be the first thing they tell you to give up.  Go to the websites that Dawn has given you and take the information to your doctor.  It will help you get the ball rolling.  Best of luck to you  :)

mollyandboo
on 6/11/11 4:01 am - Canada
Hi Trish,
  Your Dr. can send a referral to whichever bariatric clinic is near you.they will assess you after you have attended the first class..my Dr. faxed referral april 29th/2010  first class was feb 14th/2011  surgery was May 27th/11  I am 2 weeks post op  and feel great.. waiting times have shortened because the Gov anti'd up millions of dollars for this surgery because of  what some of the outcomes are.. reversal of some diabetes(mine was gone 2 days after surgery) hypertension gets better  cholesterol balances  . overall health gets better...  can't hurt to try..its the first step..hope this info helps

StevesGal
on 6/11/11 4:46 am - Hamilton, Canada
Welcome Trish!!  You'll find lots of help and info here, and probably make some friends along the way.

Actually, you can no longer send it directly to the nearest clinic, as of October 2010, it MUST go thru the Bariatric Registry via your GP.  (www.bariatricregistry.ca).  If your GP sends it to a clinic, they'll get told to send it to the Registry, thereby delaying your referral (sometimes a week or more, depending on how quickly your doctor gets around to refiling it.)  If your GP doesn't have internet (and why wouldn't she/he?), they call the Registry and have a referral package sent to them for faxing/mailing.

Also, if you want to find out the approximate wait times for your region/hospital, here's a link that will give a rough timing.  It's set up via hospital/clinic.  EricaFG, a member here, set this up.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvBMWgPqaVJldGRNSlJ kcmRZSmVTNWhFbVJEWWhFX1E&hl=en&authkey=CJCu_tcC

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics