Getting Pregnant While on the Wait list

jhpby
on 5/29/11 10:36 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone got pregnant while they were waiting for surgery?

I am going through TWH and i am wondering if I am pregnant. I should know within the next week or so when I take a home pregnancy test. I have been feeling very tires, nauseous, and have a heightened sense of smell. the only thing is I don't know if my strong WANT for being pregnant is causing me to have symptoms.

it was 1 year ago this month that I had my first miscarriage so a huge part of me is scared that it will come back positive. I really believe I miscarried because of my weight and all the stress in my life at that time. (wedding, buying a house, selling a house, bachlorette parties(no drinking), etc) If I went through another miscarriage I don't know how I would handle in.

i know some are probably thinking that if you think you miscarried because of your weight then why wouldn't you wait till after surgery? I am a strong believer in everything happens for a reason (whether it's good or bad...there is a reason)

Thanks for listening

HW- 343     CW- 266.4  SW- 314                                        My  is suberman!       

3littlepigs
on 5/29/11 10:50 am
Congrats if you are!  I had 2 miscarriages myself. Then bam 3 kids in 5 years.  I wouldn't call them until you have had your orientation.  My friend from Guelph went to the orientation and shortly after found out she was prego.  They said she would have to wait 2 years from now to continue in the process (about 18 months after baby is born).  But she keeps her spot and will continue where she left off.  Post and let us know if it's positive.
Donna
jhpby
on 5/29/11 11:00 am - Oshawa, Canada
That's crazy. I met a lady at one of the support groups that ended up having the surgery while she was on mat leave. I thought the 2 year thing was only if u already had the surgery??
HW- 343     CW- 266.4  SW- 314                                        My  is suberman!       

3littlepigs
on 5/29/11 11:16 am
Might be different at TWH though.  I thought the same thing.  She is not breast feeding. Not sure why they make you wait that long after.  I told her to contact the centre 6 months after the baby is born and see what they say,  By the time she has her surgery it will be just about 18 months anyways. 
Leslie W.
on 5/29/11 11:17 am - Cobourg, Canada
At my orientation they said 2 yrs after surgery. This is due to the stress your body is in, healing and nutrtional demands. I agree I would wait unti your orientation. You have a year after to decide without restarting everything.

Good luck

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Kristina1987
on 5/29/11 1:05 pm - Canada
 Would depend on how you deliver on how long you have to wait after having a baby. They say it generally takes 6 to 12months for your body and hormones to adjust themselves and get back to where they belong. But I also know woth csection, blood loss and blah blah all play a factor so I think it all depends. Congratulations if you are pregnant! And even if you put your surgery on hold you will have it probably almost in time to be running and catching up with baby! My son is 20 months and O almost can't keep ip hopefully only 2 more months! 

jdance
on 5/30/11 12:37 am - Canada

I Agree, everything for a reason.

I lost 3.

one before and two after my son. So i have the miracle baby (20 years ago). And my weight might have been a factor, who knows. I got 1 outta 4 so I'm happy.

If you are pregnant, congratulations, i hope it goes well.

niner
on 5/30/11 5:30 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 07/29/09 with
Hi there,

Hope things work out for you!!  Regarding waiting after pregnancy......I started the workup when my baby was just 2 months old....and had my surgery when she was 7 months old....while on maternity leave.   No problems at all.......I don't think it should be a problem to have the surgery post pregnancy unless something went terribly wrong.  I had hypertension and a blood clotting disorder while pregnant....on massive amounts of antihypertensive meds, aspirin and injectable blood thinner which I took twice a day for the whole pregnancy.  So.......my medical situation was quite complicated and my surgery went off without a hitch.....no one was even concerned that there would be a problem because I had recently had a baby.  I, however, did give up breastfeeding at 6 months.....didn't want to worry about the lack of nutrition my baby would be getting while I was recovering post op! 

Wishing you all the best!!  Having this surgery will be the best gift you can give yourself and your child to be :)
Most Active
Recent Topics