Has anyone had Silastic Ring Gastric Bypass?

Denise2200
on 6/3/14 4:21 am

My doctor put a ring on my stomach when he did my gastric bypass.  It is not a lap band, not adjustable.  It's just a ring.  He said that it will help keep me from stretching my stomach back out after recovery.  I've not heard of anyone else ever having a ring put on their stomach durng RNY surgery.  Hoping to find someone with experience with this.  I'm trying to decide whether or not to have him take the ring off.  He never discussed the possibility of this during our consult or any time thereafter.  He just took it upon himself to put it on during my RNY surgery.

LakeErieGirl
on 6/4/14 4:12 am
VSG on 06/17/14

Hi Denise. I hope that someone chimes in and answers your question. Maybe, it would be better to ask on the MAIN RNY board however instead of the OHIO board. I am new here,  and I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes. It was just a suggestion because I was just thinking maybe more people would be able see it and you could get more help. I was just looking at the threads in the OHIO section and it just doesn't seem as active as some as the other places.

I am getting the VSG in a couple of weeks so I am not of any help at all, but my mom did get RNY a few years ago. Personally, if it was me I would not be happy that my surgeon did not tell me ahead of time that this would be happening. But, I think if this was a standard thing he did with all of his patients then I would not feel uncomfortable. I would just express to him that I wish he would have told me ahead of time so I could have known beforehand.

There is nothing in your paperwork that your surgeon was going to do this? Or did your doctor draw exactly what he would be doing? I know for instance my surgeon did a detailed drawing for me when I met with him the first time, then he had me watch a live video of the one of the clinic's surgeons doing the operation. Also, an EMPI program through the hospital about the surgery so I am well prepared exactly what is happening. Its strange nothing was mentioned.

I would for sure speak up and just ask questions why nothing wasn't said even if it is standard. Did you pick this surgery because you did not want anything foreign in your body? If that is the case, I would for sure speak my mind!

Good luck.

Denise2200
on 6/4/14 12:53 pm

I posted there first and only got a couple replies...nobody who actually had it done.  Then someone suggested I post about it here.  I contacted my surgeon's office today, and he wants me to have an upper GI study and then come meet with him to discuss it.  I'm not sure what that's all about.  There may not be anything going on now, but the possible complications I've heard about and read about really scare me.  There had never been any discussion whatsoever about the possibility of this ring.  I had never even seen anything like that in the research I did when deciding on surgery.  I've had a lot of procedures, and in my experience, if anything can go wrong or weird things can happen, they happen to me.  So the ring really scares me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello Ohio!
ShanaC · 1 replies · 1122 views
Akron/Cleveland Folk
Daniel B. · 0 replies · 1501 views
Fresh Start Bariatric
Sassylike · 1 replies · 2382 views
Looking for Dr.
Beantowngal2 · 0 replies · 2285 views