Losing to slow???

martie
on 10/2/04 11:10 am - Upstate, NY
I'm 9 weeks out and have lost only 41 pounds.I've haven't lost any in almost 2 weeks .I'm trying to get in all the protien I can.I can't drink the shakes they make me .I can't eat chicken at all or I .I drink and drink liquids all day.I need some please. Love in Christ, Martie
mom2daredevils
on 10/2/04 1:03 pm - Hopewell Junction, NY
Martie......41 lbs. is FANTASTIC!!!! I won't have my surgery until Tuesday, but I've heard and seen on here that plateaus are normal....wait it out, do what you can w/ the protein & fluids...and know that you've already had GREAT success!! God Bless and give you His peace! Claudia
Glenda-H
on 10/3/04 5:04 am - New York, NY
Hi Marte Losing 41 lbs is great. I know how you feel about those protein shakes; however, I mix 1 scoop of Isopure Zero Carb (Strawberry flavor) with 1 1/2 cup of 1% milk and 1 packet of chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast (No Sugar Added). I blend it all in the blender with an ice cube. I drink half of in morning and the other half in the afternoon. It taste very good. That gives me a total of 40 grams of protein. I eat 1/4 cup of split pea soup which gives me another 11 grams of protein. I also drink and eat other items that have some protein. If you can, give it a try. It may not be as bad as you think. My problem is getting in water. Each day I try to drink a little more than the day before. Overall, do what you can. Don't worry the weight will come off. You are a winner. Just keep the faith. Wishing you all the best. God bless you always. {{{{{hugs}}}}} Glenda
N. J.
on 10/3/04 8:59 am - Bronx, NY
It took me months before i could eat chicken. when i tried it early on it was hell to eat I would get so sick. Try seafood. Shrimp fish Tilapia fish is very moist. If you are not a sea food eater try making chili which is high in protein. Protein bars ( for me i could never develop a taste for them) Turkey or ham slices, eggs. Protein shakes are hard i do them but not as much as I did in the past. I did Nitro tech ready made shakes they come in a can. it is the only shake i drink with out gagging. I have a list of food on my profile. And congrats on your weight loss thus far. You are doing great! Best of luck, Nicole -141
IleneRachel
on 10/3/04 12:47 pm - Massapequa, NY
41 lbs in 9 weeks - even with your not losing any weight in almost 2 weeks - is great! That comes to a little over 4 1/2 lbs per week spread out over all 9 weeks! I'm about 14 1/2 weeks out and I've "only" lost 55 lbs (totalling 75.5 lbs since first visiting the surgeon) - which is less than 4 lbs a week... without any non-losing period! Yes, I'd love to lose faster, but at least I'm losing! And you are, too! I'm not a big fan of regular protein shakes, either. Most of them (at least the chocolate ones) I've been able to tolerate a few times a week by blending some frozen banana slices and a little extra water into the powder (I find many shakes are too sweet). Most weekdays, though, I have Bariatrix's Proti-15 drink for breakfast. It's fruity, but not too sweet (at least if I use a bit extra water), and comes in several flavors in pre-measured packets. No blender needed, either. Bariatrix makes a bunch of other products, too, that are pretty good. I enjoy their hot chocolate, and their gelatin is good, too. Most of their products (they also make things like puddings, soups, oatmeal and flavored soy beans) have 15 grams of protein. You can only get them at a doctor's office. If you are interested, you can go to their website and use their location search tool to find a doctor close to you who sells the products. The URL is: bariatrix.com I don't know what anyone else charges for the products, but I pay $11 for a box of 7 servings of the drink (= approx 1.58 per serving), which is worth it to me for the convenience, taste, and 15 grams of protein. Make sure you aren't eating too much at one time. I find that if I eat even just a little bit more than my body likes, something that normally wouldn't bother me will make me feel sick. And if you don't give your pouch a chance to rest after you get sick, your pouch will be more sensitive, so make sure to go back to clear liquids for at least a few meals after a really negative reaction. And make sure the liquids you're using are low-calorie and low-fat, too! It's hard to find the proper amounts and types of food sometimes. It's a delicate balance. You don't want to eat too much, but if you don't eat (and drink water) enough, your progress may be slowed down. Exercise may help, too - "even" just walking around the block whenever you can can help (hopefully I will soon take my own advice and start to exercise regularly )! If you're having a lot of trouble, maybe you should talk to your surgeon. He may be able to give you some suggestions. Good luck! ~~ Ilene Rachel Lap Roux-en-Y: June 22, 2004 (150 cm limb) Surgeon: Dr. Molave Adaniel Hospital: Southside Hospital, Bay Shore, NY 5' 4" [At Home, Naked:] Top WT 296.5/Pre-op 276/Present 221/Goal 140
Patty F.
on 10/3/04 10:53 pm - Pine Bush, NY
41 lbs is great. I don't like the protein shakes either. I buy the any whey powder and mix it in my Wendy's chili or oatmeal. I can eat chicken sometimes, but for some reason whenever I cook it , I get sick. I think its a sign I should just order takeout. Patty
~~Angel~~
on 10/4/04 2:43 am - Buffalo, NY
the plateaus make us all crazy, Martie. Mine last not less than 5 to 6 weeks at a time, from the beginning, but as I look in the mirror and start seeing this girly looking gal looking back at me, I know that even though slow, I am getting what I want. The clear protein drinks may be to your liking, like Isopure, which comes in a range of fruity flavors and even though a bit sweet, is easy to get down. Try not to lose faith with yourself - you will get where you need to go eventually [even though we want it SOONER] dmj
Most Active
Recent Topics