Help choosing Medicaid insurance plan?!

JessieRae30
on 8/12/12 8:59 pm - Staten Island, NY

Hi! :)

I applied for Medicaid Managed Care a couple days ago. I have a list of plans I can choose from. My main concern is joining a plan which have high acceptance rates for Bariatric surgery, and as well, their requirements not being too strict..."too strict" as in requiring several comorbidities(I don't have any even though I am 200 lbs overweight!). I was supposed to have Roux-en-Y last year but found out my BCBS plan only covered hospital costs so the procedure cost would land fully on my shoulders. Since then, I've lost about 50 lbs on my own and I'm just beyond ready to have this procedure done so I can begin living a healthy life in a healthy body! I have decided to have the gastric sleeve done. Anywho, here's the list of possible plans...please help any way you can, if you can :) Thanks!

Affinity Health Plan
Fidelis Care NY
Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York (HIP)
HealthFirst PHSP
HealthPlus(an Amerigroup Company)
Neighborhood Health Providers
UnitedHealthcare Community Plan

Father Don
on 8/13/12 10:38 am - Charleston, SC
Just remember - if you have a high BMI, that alone could qualify you - without co-morbidities!

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

JessieRae30
on 8/24/12 10:07 am - Staten Island, NY
My BMI is at 53 right now...I just know that depending on which insurance provider I choose, they have different requirements. Thank you :)
hotgal77
on 8/17/12 8:26 pm, edited 8/17/12 1:27 am - NY
I was told by my doctors office to choose Fidelis, because they do not require 6 months worth of check ups, I just changed mines to this also so i can avoid all the hassle.
JessieRae30
on 8/24/12 10:08 am - Staten Island, NY
Thanks so much! I was thinking of going with them as well. Do they require you to have co-morbidities?
hotgal77
on 8/24/12 3:43 pm - NY
To my knowledge no, once your BMI is over the 40 range, you are automatically approved because then you are considered morbidly obese.
HaoleGirl119
on 3/28/13 10:44 pm
Fidelis made me do 6 months supervised diet before I was approved for surgery
HaoleGrl119

readyforchange2014
on 8/1/14 1:55 am

Did you get the surgery? Did they require a 6 month  supervised diet

Most Active
Recent Topics