Hey guys, I need your help

Cherish B.
on 5/23/12 10:06 am
Well, a few months ago I was diagnosed with diabetes... And so now I am determined to get this surgery to improve my heatlh. I am currently under my mother's insurance (empire blue cross/blue shield) but won't be for much longer since I am 26 years old.... So basically, time is against me and I am wondering if any of you may know a hospital/doctor/bariatric program, etc. that does NOT require the 6-month supervised diet.... Or is this part of policy now? I'm confused.... Any tips or advice will be greatly aprreciated.
Father Don
on 5/30/12 12:30 am - Charleston, SC
This is usually a requirement of the insurance company.  (Basically to prove you can stick with the eating plan post-surgery).

Get a copy of the policy and amy riders that apply (make sure it's specific to YOUR Policy - and the riders apply to YOU.  Some company exclude WLS specifically...and you need to know this.

I hope you don't think this is a magic bullet - because it's not....it's an entire lifetime of change - with very little chance of going back.  Also, once you are diabetic, you will always be prone - while diabetes goes into remission with surgery - it doesn't "cure" it.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Yolie622
on 10/13/12 9:57 am
Hi. I have that same insurance. No time is required. All u need is the tests & dr saying yes.
Father Don
on 10/15/12 6:43 am - Charleston, SC
Yolie -

you have to be careful - some companies in the policy they get with bcbs exclude WLS....others have long-term riders.....insurance from the same insurance company can vary employer to employer....

I noticed you said no wait, yet in your profile you said a six month wait....

I depends on the policy and riders that apply to YOU...that's why I said - conatct the insurance company first - get names and numbers of people you talked to.  Have then e-mail or fax you a copy of the policy and and riders that are applicable to you.  This way, there are no surprises.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics