driving me CRAZY

FancyRoses
on 4/2/11 11:01 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
I am sorry I just have to VENT for a minute or two.  I went to see my family Dr on 2/24/11 and referral was sent and off I went,  I emailed the clinic and no referral was found so I called the Dr office and she re faxed again ensuring me everything was OK.  I called the weight loss clinic and again no referral with my name on it.  said the Wait time is so long because the government does not help with funding for VSG.  So I confirmed with my family DR the correct fax # and she then re faxed with CORRECT information on it.  I get excited at the thought of finally getting thinner and healthy but the Wait time is a killer its going to set me insane.  I have been heavy and down right FAT all my life and I NEED  help with this.  I am tired of being FAT and want to enjoy what is left of my life.  I want to be free of this body and feel that my only choice is to wait and hope I don't die of a heart attack while I am waiting.  yeah yeah all the normal sized people in my life say I am taking the easy way out and all I need to do is exercise and diet but I have arthritis and asthma and high blood pressure and cant walk very far anymore, cant breath and knees and ankles hurt so bad.  sorry just had to vent
My goals to a healthy me            
nsblue
on 4/2/11 10:16 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

hey vent all you like Fancyroses....we all have to get it out. I know how frustrating it is when referrals are sent then you get the reply from them...like they are trying discourage you...that it is a long wait etc etc etc. been there. but keep on top of them...and before you know it you will be getting a call to your first appointment. Your health is important...and taking control is a big part in seeing it is accomplished.

Do all you can to learn of the program on their website...start doing the things needed...all of this will show your commitment to them...and you will feel focused and time will pass quickly. I realize with starting to walk is difficult starting...but every little bit helps...and before you know it you will feel healthier and you will be able to walk a tiny bit more... each small step counts ;)

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/11 10:21 pm - Canada

Tell your friends that it is NOT the easy way out, it is a tool to help you just like Weigh****chers.

You can do this.  Maybe break your walks up into smaller chunks.  10 mins at a time.

bluegrrl
on 4/3/11 7:52 am - Glace Bay, Canada
*Big hug* FancyRoses

I haven't even got as far as getting a referral and already I know it certainly isn't the easy way out.
The process working up to and afterwards is anything but easy.

I got a book from our local library:

Weight Loss Surgery - Is it right for you?
by Merle Cantor Goldberg
George Cowan Jr
William Y. Marcus

It was released in 2006 so it doesn't even cover the GSV process, but the words inside are very uplifting. The book is also based on the US medical system, so that doesn't matter.  

It covers what to tell your family and how to handle comments like that.  They describe the disease of obesity and the changes that are waiting for you.  The book also includes a section for family - describing what to expect and how they are needed.  I'd suggest checking to see of your library has it and asking family members to read that part.

I am the second person to take this book from the library and the last time was 2008.  That also speaks to me that people are too embarrassed by the whole topic.

I wish you luck and patience not only for the wait list, but for the people around you.
FancyRoses
on 4/3/11 7:57 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
thanks for all the words of encouragment and yes i will be sticking it out I NEED this helpful tool to get my big ass in gear. LOL I have told all the important people in my life that matters and the rest i dont care of their opinions never did just frustarted at times the wait is so so so long. I just want to get this PARTY started
nannydeb
on 4/3/11 8:36 am - Canada
I see that you are in Lower Sackville so just a suggestion about a support group that meets at the Sobey's in Sackville.  The next meetin is on April 13, 7 - 9 p.m.  It's a group of people who have either had surgery, are waiting for surgery or looking for info about the surgery.  I went last month and met some amazing, supportive people.  If you're available you should check it out.  I hear what you're saying about the PARTY.....I have my invition, but the date hasn't been filled in yet. LOL 
Mary H.
on 4/3/11 8:28 am - Canada
I can totally relate to your fustration. My family Doctor told me it would be a year tops for me on the waiting list because of my medical condtions. I have only been on the waiting list about 6 months or so.  I called to see if I was on the Primary list and they are saying  it is more like 2-3 years for me. My conditions are stable because of medication. I was in tears when I was told that. I felt like it was a death sentence, and it still may be. All I have been telling myself is that it will happen when it is my time. People that go ahead of me must be sicker and need it more.  Your time will happen! You have started the process and that is a great step. You are further ahead then you were a few months ago. 

Mary

Most Active