Surgery Nov 17th

kkyymm
on 10/20/11 11:40 am - Lincoln, Canada
Hi All,

Finally got a date :) having vsg done on Nov 17th with Dr Savioe. 13 more days till boost yikes!!  Any advice for me.

What did you all wear while you were in the hospital. pjs? nightgown? robe?

macaulie4
on 10/20/11 10:21 pm - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 07/09/13
Congrats on your surgery date. Let us know how you get along. I'm still waiting to have my first consult with Dr. Savioe. It seems to be a long wait but I know in the end it will be worth it.  Looking forward to hear about your experience.

Take care,
sunnie41
on 10/21/11 12:04 am - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
o my gracious, you must be soooo excited.  i havent had surgery yet so im not sure about the clothing but wanted to leave my two cents worth in congratulations

kkyymm
on 10/21/11 8:41 am - Lincoln, Canada
Thanks ladies  I am very excited. It has been a very long wait

runfatgirlrun
on 10/21/11 8:48 am
Woo Hoo!!!  My date is the following week, Nov 24th with Dr. Savoie.  I have to go up on Nov 15th for 4 hour the pre-admission clinic.  Are you scheduled to attend this as well?  They told me that they schedule this mandatory session with other patients who will also be having surgery close to my date. 

I am not doing the Boost.  After having my jaws broken and having todrink copious amounts of Boost during that receovery I vowed to never consume it again.  I personally had some issues with it since it made me break out and have some bad tummy reactions.  Most other patients prefer it though.  I am opting for the custom Rx protein supplement bars which I have to order from a lab in Quebec. They are expensive but I think they will be worth it for me.   

Funny you ask about what to wear in the hospital because I also was thinking the same thing.  I know that we will have to get up and about to walk alot so I do not want to scare anyone on the floor.  I would prefer to wear jammies but questioned if the elastic waistband would be a bad idea with the incisions.  If I wear a night dress or robe I do not want to look like Grandma but not a hoochie mama either.  Since this is a low time for me I don't want to feel worse in knowing I look like a toad walking down the halls.  I want comfort but also some fashion sense and functionality.  I plan to pay a visit to Pennington's or Addition-Elle soon to scout it out since my current night wear wardrobe consists of mismatched jammies.  

Hopefully we will meet up at some point.  I am getting anxious .... just want to get it done and get on with my life.   
kkyymm
on 10/21/11 8:57 am - Lincoln, Canada
LOL I have all the same concerns. I thought a robe would be a must for walking the halls, but I really don't know. I feel much better in pj's then a night gown. I am making a penningtons trip I dont want to buy more then I need as hopefully they wont fit long. Are you having vsg?

I am going to the information session on the 15th as well :)  I have to give blood on the 16th so I am just staying in Bathurst from the 15th on. I will see you at the info session.

runfatgirlrun
on 10/22/11 1:53 am
Yes, I am having VSG.  I have more blood tests on the 15th just before the info session.  I am looking forward to meeting you. 

I have been trying to drink alot of fluids and water during the day to get accustomed to having to consume that much fluid after surgery.  I have been trying to detox off caffine (not easy) and drink more water.  I can't stomach water without lemon which may be a problem after surgery since it is acidic.  I try and sip it at my desk during the day.  I am addicted to tea which I am also trying to reduce since it is a diuretic.  Not easy.  

Did they tell you to wear comfy clothes and bring snacks because the session is long?

See you in Bathurst!  
Carly ~
on 11/3/11 7:47 pm
 Hey girls!
Congrats on your dates!  
I wore sandals that just slipped on, instead of slippers -- to walk better without slipping -- but that was just a personal preference.
I did take some very loose fitting clothes (shirts and pants), but didn't wear them.
I wore hospital gowns -- they were most comfortable and the least restrictive.  One forward facing, one backwards.  There's your gown and robe all in one.. well.. two parts!

I did listen to my ipod a little bit every day.  (and charger)
If you have a cell and want to be able to use that in hospital, don't forget the charger for that too.
I took my laptop with downloaded movies, but was medicated enough that I wasn't able to focus on one at all.

Some lip chapstick stuff, or cream for your lips.... a toothbrush, hairbrush. 
They have soap/shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste/mouthwash.

I took two pillows from home.  One for using there, and one for over your belly on the ride home.

I wasn't able to focus on a book, read the same paragraph my entire hospital stay.  A magazine with pretty pictures may be more suitable on dilaudid!

I did do some word searches and bought that book in the downstairs gift shop a few days post op.

I think that's about it!  I had one little tiny bag -- the recyclable bags from Sobeys with clothes to wear home and the few toiletries I brought.  Another one had my laptop (which I didn't need/want) and pillow.

kkyymm
on 11/8/11 12:36 am - Lincoln, Canada
Thanks for the advice. I am a big packer I would have taken a couple suit cases full. I will pack much lighter now.

My heavest was 371 and 365 the day I started boost. Did you take boost? how much did you lose during the boost?

thinkinhaboutvsg
on 11/8/11 10:47 pm
How long did you wait from time of referral to see Dr Savoie?  I have been fighting with my family Dr to give me a referral, & I am pretty upset.  I am wanting to get the VSG.  Do you know if this is something Medicare covers any of or all out of pocket? If you don't mind I ask.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1080 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1945 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1791 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1787 views