Went for my consultation with Dr. Savoie

Charline M.
on 5/17/11 9:50 am
VSG on 02/23/12
Hi everyone,

I had my appointment last Friday.  This was my first consult.  My referral was sent in December of 2008 just for a timeframe.

Everyone is extremely nice.  The nurse took my height and weight and then asked me some questions on my family's eating habits.  Then I waited a few more minutes and went in with Dr. Savoie. 

He's an extremely nice man.  He went through all the surgeries and we discussed what would be better for me.  He explained the procedure, pre-op requirements, post-op requirements (just a few, there are more but he said we'll go into those more in-depth at another time) and he answered my questions.

Now I wait some more.  Apparently the surgeries are booked up into July/August so I'm not holding my breath for that.  I am holding my breath that the surgeries aren't cut.  As all the waiters here, this is too important for them to just cut.  So I'm keeping my fingers, toes, eyes, and anything else I can cross, crossed.

I'll post more once I know more.  :)
~Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.~        
Trish-hoping
on 5/17/11 10:41 am - Benton, Canada
Wow Charline that is so great that you finally had your consult. I remember how excited i was to finally get to mine. I really am also hoping for the surgery not to be cut, it changes lives as I can attest to! Keep us posted on your progress and keep calling them, the squeaky wheel gets the deal! Also I told them to put me on the cancellation list if they had any open up, it can make a difference for some. Blessings Trish
HW-362 SW-330  (21lbs lost on pre-op diet)  Over HALF way there!!  
jjwbuster
on 5/17/11 1:27 pm - Saint John, Canada
 Glad to hear that you finally had your appointment. I have been watching the forum for your update.

So what happens now?
How many more appointments do you have before your surgery?
Did he make any suggestions as to what he would like you to do to prepare for surgery?

I hope that all will go well for you.

referral sent March 2009/ Approval signed March 2013/Surgery May 2013

HW: 404  Pre OP Liquid: 375   SW: 349   CW: 271

sunnie41
on 5/17/11 10:02 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
congratulations. you must be so excited.  the first step is done.  i am so jealous (just kidding lol)
the next few months will fly by and yessss, hopefully the coverage for WLS will continue.
Charline M.
on 5/18/11 10:59 am
VSG on 02/23/12

Thanks for the words of encouragement gang!  I really appreciate it!

To answer a few questions....

Dr. Savoie just told me that when it's gets to the two week fasting for my surgery I have to have some diabetic boost on hand.  I believe it's 4 per day for the two weeks.  It's to shrink the liver as most of you know.

The VSG is now done laporascopically...or however that is spelled...so it's not open anymore.

Since they have surgeries booked until July, I'm assuming that I won't get done until Fall...if that..I'm kinda keeping my fingers crossed to have it before Christmas.  If they aren't cut by the government that is.

He does have a plan to offer the DS in the future...just not as one surgery.  He said that he will most likely do it in two steps...but he is years away from that.

So....now I wait.  Believe me, as soon as I find out a date...you guys will be some of the first to know... 

Talk to you later!!!  I'm off to bed since I have client day at school tomorrow...5 pedicures will have me worn out by 10pm for sure....  :)

~Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.~        
nickola1
on 5/19/11 7:41 am - Riverview, Canada
 Hey there, 

I didn't know there was another surgeon in NB that did weight loss surgeries.  So he just does the vertical sleeve?  What is his waiting list like?  He's in Bathurst too I see.  

Thanks, 

Chris

Charline M.
on 5/19/11 11:39 am
VSG on 02/23/12
Hi Chris,

He does the band, the sleeve and I think the rny.  My referral had been sent in December of 2008.

Hope this helps!
Charline
ruthann49
on 5/19/11 9:18 pm - Canada
I'M ON THE ns BORDER and they sent my referral back saying since WLS is done here they won't accept out of Province referrals.

Charline M.
on 5/19/11 11:50 pm
VSG on 02/23/12
I think that applies if the surgery you're looking for is done in your province.  If your surgeon in NS decided that the DS was best for you, then the province would pay if you had to get it done somewhere else. 
Karmy
on 5/20/11 12:24 am - Escuminac,N.-B, Canada
VSG on 03/08/12
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1064 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1920 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1772 views
Facebook page