I must admit...

Bethany1988
on 12/29/12 11:20 am - MI
VSG on 02/18/13

I'm a bit disappointed in this board. I joined because I wanted to have a community that included people like me who have gone through, or are going to go through WLS, but it seems like no one ever comments on anything. I'm bummed. 

I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. –Christopher Reeves

Jody ***
on 12/30/12 4:52 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

This used to be a very active board but I'm not sure what happened to make it go almost dormant. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

pattyjonichols
on 1/1/13 11:14 am

Bethany hello:

I thought the same thing at first, but then I found out most people go to the other Forum Boards for these type of surgery or to the main Board.  I was hoping more Michigan people would participate.  So maybe there are not too many people who know about this site.  By the way....what type of surgery did you have and when?   I had RNY surgery November 16, 2012 at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.   I'm happy about it, but every day is still a challenge.  How are you doing?

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

Bethany1988
on 1/2/13 7:54 am - MI
VSG on 02/18/13

I am still in the pre-op process. I've gone through so many hoops and I'm getting a little disheartened! I paid for one program, just to have my surgeon change offices and now I have to pay their fees now too... so there went $700 out the window. I stated this process in December 2011 and I'm a little disappointed. I was considering the RNY, but the office I am with now mentioned the sleeve. I am trying to decide between the two, which is part of the reason why I joined this board, to see what other people thought of the surgeries. 

I'm glad to hear that you're happy. What have been your challenges? 

I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. –Christopher Reeves

pineview01
on 1/3/13 9:47 pm, edited 1/3/13 9:47 pm - Davison, MI

Some times things happen for the best. 

My DD went thru the whole year long process and was approved.  Then she flunked the PG test. Boy I love that little guy.  I'm so glad she flunked.  So while she was working on my fourth grandchild, I was going thru the process to get the band.   She lost all the out of pocket cost for the mmpi psyhc eval and co pays at the bariatric center, about $1000. 

She saw all the problems I had with the band.  I had started to research the sleeve just before banding and was convince it was the better surgery.  I didn't want the rerouting of the RN.  My center wasn't doing the sleeve so settled for the band.  With in months of getting my band they started doing the sleeve (but, my insurance still didn't cover it.)  The daughter's husband's bcbs of MN(I think) didn't cover the sleeve either.  (MI did).  Her husband lost his job and she went on her employers insurance, more money but at least she had insurance and that bcbs (not sure which state) covered the sleeve.

She got the surgery I had wanted, I got 3.5 years of hell with  her surgery.  My insurance started covering the sleeve but, went to a once in a lifetime policy.  I fought that and am SUPPOSE to be finally getting the sleeve on the 22 of Jan.

That whole long story to say, maybe you are getting a second chance to have a surgery that could be much better for your situation.  (I would have gladly lost $700 if I could have gotten the sleeve instead of band.)

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

pineview01
on 1/1/13 1:39 pm - Davison, MI

It used to be very active here.  There was some very active pioneers in researching nutrients and such.  I am active on four other boards and two groups too.  It really was nice because there didn't use to be so many centers in MI and so lot of the posters where people I could met in person too.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

justjudy
on 1/5/13 9:31 am - Canton, MI

I used to come here more often and there actually there were a couple of "meet ups" of the Michigan folks in the past.  OH in general has quieted down and many of us only go to our surgery boards.

Judy

pineview01
on 1/6/13 9:09 am - Davison, MI

Hi Judy!  You are one of the ones I miss here!

kc82
on 1/7/13 12:53 am - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

Hi there! I'm pre-op as well and I have been on this board, but you're right, not many people post. Which is a shame because it would be nice to have support from others nearby. Hopefully this board will be hopping again soon. It'd be great to get to know all of you!  :)

Bethany1988
on 1/7/13 9:08 am - MI
VSG on 02/18/13

I'm glad to see more people commenting! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one looking for information and support! Which surgery do you plan on getting?

Most Active
Recent Topics