Gallbladder Surgery after WLS

charleenc
on 12/14/12 1:39 am - Canada

So it appears that I am one of the small percentage of people who have gallbladder issues and will now need to get my gallbladder out on January 9th.  Anyone else have to get this done after they had WLS????

notoriousgrannyD
on 12/14/12 2:17 am
VSG on 10/16/12

I have been waiting for mine to act up, but it  is behaving so far (probably because I am not losing any weight.... sigh) Anyway, when I went for my Barium swallow, they said I had a silent stone in my gallbladder (I have had it for 18 years, that's when I was supposed to have it removed but due to an unfortunate series of events, was canceled and then it never bothered me so I thought it must have just gone away..... I was wrong)   I know in the states that some surgeons will do a cholecystectomy with the VSG if it is warranted but the only chance I had to talk with Dr Andrew about it was on the am of my surgery and it was kinda too late to change things up at that time.  At my 6 week check Dr. Vergis said it was a shame they didn't know about this stone during the surgery or they would have removed the gallbladder at the same time!  WTH!

So far it is not bothering me but Dr. Vergis if I start with any symptoms to call and he would issue me a script for some Urdisol (?sp) which helps with the gallstone thing.  So far though, my cholelithiasis is staying silent........ fingers crossed.

Hope your surgery goes well and that stupid bilary colic goes away, it's painful.  Take care

. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
mama-of-2
on 12/14/12 3:22 am - Canada

Sucks that you have to have yours out. On the good side, you'll feel much better. I know I did instantly. The surgery isn't too hard on your body either in compairison to wls.

Keep me posted, as I would love to come visit you in the hospital if you're feeling up to it. At least I know I'll get a visit in with you that way and you wont be flying off somewhere...How was your little "getaway"?

rainyone
on 12/14/12 5:38 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

I have never had gallbladder issues but I know rapid weight loss is one of the factors for many people. I keep thinking I *should* have issues since I fit the profile of the typical patient lol. ( fat  , fair , female, 40 and fertile - fertile is the only one I don't have )

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

notoriousgrannyD
on 12/14/12 6:05 am
VSG on 10/16/12

don't forget "fabulous and getting fit!"

. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
charleenc
on 12/14/12 11:00 am - Canada

Thanks ladies for the support, kind of thought I was too lucky to have this journey be so smooth but this is a minor surgery so not very worried. More frustrated it will keep me from working out like I have been. Just happy that I won't have this pain anymore and as Dr Vergis mentioned it could just keep getting worse. 

seeking_freedom
on 12/14/12 11:24 am - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12

yep, had mine out 7 weeks after rny, it was horrible, i actually almost died. i had one stone over an inch in diameter, it was necrotic, gangerous and there was pus everywhere ( surgeons words) , my favorite thing about the whole thing was how amazingly my face cleared up! its sooo nice to have clear skin again. i was in hospital a week before they decided to take it out, had a couple ultrasounds, an mri, and a blood transfusion. if they are willing to take it out before it gets that bad DO IT!!!!! take care. best of luck!

niki

refered to weight wise , edmonton june 2010, asessment nov 2011, surg june 2012
Michelle_2975
on 12/15/12 2:08 am - Canada

I have a consult with Dr. Andrews on the 18th for the same thing. How long did it take for you to get a surgery date? I can't believe how much it hurts.

charleenc
on 12/15/12 11:39 am - Canada

I mentioned the issue to Dr Hardy at my one year follow-up at the beginning of October but nothing done. Ended up going to my family doctor never the end of October as the pain was so bad at times. She requisitioned an ultra-sound that I went for on December 6th (waited almost 6 weeks for the test). After I got a call from my doctor a couple days later and the girls at the last m & g suggested I call Andrea I did so after I knew I had confirmed it was stones.  I called Andrea this last Monday and saw dr Vergis just thi Thursday and had a surgery date before I left the office. Surgery is scheduled for January 9th. Have to get a preop one before surgery. Just glad to get this done as the pain is horrible during an attack and not brought on my any foods. Had one start in my sleep

Karenerickson
on 12/15/12 10:52 pm - Portage La Prairie, Canada

I have been fighting with gallbladder issues as well since this summer. I had an ultrasound in September and they found a gallstone 3.6cm in size. It won't pass and causes me constant discomfort. Because it isn't inflamed, they won't take immediate action. I am now on Nexium as it is the only way I can function, and it doesn't help the pain. I am waiting to see a surgeon at Grace but perhaps if I get to see a WLS surgeon first I will mention it to them. I would rather have one surgery rather than 2. I think this can be the worst pain ever when it acts up.

Good Luck!

Karen

Most Active