Protein?

BeginsToday
on 11/19/12 10:38 am

Hi All,

I am having a tough time getting in my protein, the shakes taste off to me (even Click). I am two weeks post sleeve surgery but am fighting a nasty incision infection. I am hoping my taste buds are off because of all the anti-biotics. I felt great after surgery, then by the time I got home, I went to the hospital and started an I V. I am doing well now and have energy to do things, but I did enjoy being a TV addict last week. 

Any suggestions on getting more protein? Oddly, I am having a tough time eating enough, it is so weird to even say that! I am not hungry or light headed, drinking or eating is feeling ok going down. 

Thanks for all the advice and ideas.

Dianne C.
on 11/19/12 11:04 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

Hi 

I could not stand the taste of any protein shakes after surgery. They made me gag. I'm 9 months out now and still don't care for most of them. Your sense of taste changes after surgery for some reason. This seems to happen to everyone. I love coffee and for weeks after surgery it didn't even taste like coffee. So, not likely your taste buds are off because of the antibiotics! It gets better as time goes on.

It's a lot more important to get enough fluid in and I think everyone will tell you not to worry too much about how much protein you get in for the first few weeks. 

The first "food" I was allowed was drinkable yogurt. Maybe you could try that with some unflavoured or vanilla-flavoured protein or Beneprotein mixed in. The protein powder might taste less yucky that way. I just drank the yogurt on its own and worked my way up to other things with more protein as I was allowed (Greek yogurt with flavouring in it, regular yogurt, cottage cheese, etc., etc.)

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/12 12:16 pm

how about wendis chili.its high in protien and seems to be ok for most post ops.also pumpkin seeds have a large amount of protien for a small amount of the shelled ones.

if you go to popeyes supplements they will let you try different protien shakes.

also if you go to the US thy have protien water.its pretty good

sondra

notoriousgrannyD
on 11/20/12 6:15 am
VSG on 10/16/12

let's see, at 2 weeks I was having pureed tuna with mayo and a scoop of beneprotein.  I loved it.  Also was pureeing dense protein with graveys and adding beneprotein.  I could only do shakes in a blender with lots of ice, sometimes frozen coffee.

. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
BCwaiting
on 11/20/12 7:29 am - Canada
Make your own protein shakes in a blender with lots of ice. Try adding strawberry protein powder, banana, and Greek yogurt and any other soft fruits you like, or even a bit of peanut butter. Add PLAIN PROTEIN TO EVERYTHING . This is the only way you will get in enough protein. Add it to oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce and pureed soups. You can puree some canned salmon or tuna with carrot or V8 juice, add protein powder to it too. Make mashed carrots or mashed carrots next week and add protein powder to this also. You don't add too much so the flavor doesn't change, but if you add a tablespoon to everything you make or puree, then over the course of the day, you have added a few scoops. It won't be until you are into eating more meats that you can cut down on supplementing your foods with added protein powder. Good luck,
Barb C, bcwaiting

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
BeginsToday
on 11/20/12 7:47 am

Thanks for all the great ideas regarding the protein, I think I was trying to put too much in the food and I didn't like the change. I made a cold smoothie today which was great. I still haven't tried tuna etc. I really have to be organized because I really don't feel like eating although everything goes down well. Strange to say I need to eat more, go figure! I do find that the colder the food or drink the better, the info usually says to have at room temperature, not me. Thanks again.

BCwaiting
on 11/20/12 7:39 am - Canada
PS.... NO pumpkin seeds yet, it's too soon if you are only in week 2, they could still get stuck in your staple line. You need that to heal completely before eating any nuts.
Barb C, BCwaiting

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
Most Active