Las Vegas????

tuckergirl
on 5/1/12 12:23 am - Canada
Has anyone had or looked into getting the VSG surgery in Las Vegas?
I've heard that it's a SHORT wait list & that alot of times, insurance will cover it?

Curious if anyone knows if you have to go back for a few followups?

Thanks! :)

Ticker id: QtadTicker id: tnRU

Ticker id: tnRU

Dianne C.
on 5/1/12 4:26 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Hi 

I suspect "insurance" means U.S. health care insurance companies, not Canadian provincial health care plans. I don't honestly know if anyone on here has actually applied to Manitoba Health for approval once they have decided to have surgery out of the country.  I didn't because I presumed it would be denied, so I didn't think it was worth the bother. However, in order to get anything from my husband's health care spending account, Blue Cross has required me to submit my receipt to Manitoba Health.  I'm expecting a letter back with a straight denial for coverage and hopefully I don't have to jump through more hoops, but we'll see.

I also suspect Las Vegas is a lot more expensive than Mexico (which can be anywhere from $4500-$7000 for VSG, it looks like).  Mexico is not a bad, scary place to go for surgery.  Hundreds or thousands of us in Canada have done it.  We just get follow-up here by our own doctors.  

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Daisy68
on 5/1/12 12:13 pm - Canada
Hey there,

I'll be in Vegas this Friday getting my sleeve.  The cost is $10,400 cash price or $11,0000.  Follow up and pre-op tests are done by my Doctor here.  I'm lucky not to have to pay for air and hotels.   l It is a bit more than Mexico and when you add in Thursday I meet the surgeon and a session with the nutritionist.   There is no wait time and I do not expect MB Health will be cover any of it.  

I leave tomorrow and can't wait for Friday!

tuckergirl
on 5/1/12 1:30 pm - Canada
Oh Daisy!! I'm so excited for you!! Can't wait to hear about it! Can you keep me informed?? :)

I got an email from our insurance in Saskatchewan where we moved and they said if the surgeon provides all the info as to why the surgery is needed, then they will at times cover it.
Holding out hope for that!

Love the no wait time, and would prefer surgery in Vegas then Mexico.

Thanks for the info!!!

tuckergirl
on 5/1/12 1:31 pm - Canada
And i LOVE that both Mexico & Las Vegas they let you have follow up in Canada...
that's AWESOME!! :)

Most Active