7 days out and having trouble getting protein in..any thoughts?

mama-of-2
on 11/14/11 9:51 am - Canada
Hi everyone,
Today marks my 1 week point of post surgery. I feel lost in a lot of areas. How will I know when I'm full as it feels like I could sometimes keep having soup. I've been stopping at about a 1/3 of a cup....Also, I'm having a heck of a time getting my protein in. Any suggestions, plus what type of protein are you using? Lastly, how will I know when I can move on to another food? I'm getting tired of soup, jello, yogurt but the thought of real food/the next step scares me. Any food suggestions on what to try next?
Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate all the wonderful advice everyone gives me.
J.
Kokonut
on 11/15/11 12:51 am
I wouldn't worry too much now. :) It's all new and you're doing great. Keep going with the soups. I added Beneprotein to my soups and puddings until I could eat more types of food. Just think baby food consistency for new stuff. Go back and check the patient info Laura or the doctors gave you. There are recommendations in there about how to progress to the next stages of food. I did well eating pretty quickly AFTER the first couple of weeks.  I used Premier Protein(Costco carries it) in the beginning. It was good for me because it's 30gr protein and it's got lots of other good stuff in it. Like a meal replacement almost. I can't stomach it anymore though..so I use Presidents Choice protein, 38gr protein plus milk. I almost ALWAYS use milk for my shakes. Sometimes I mix vanilla protein with Crystal Light. Tastes like an expensive fancy drink..LOL

You probably wont feel very full until you start more solid stuff. I remember being stuffed on greek yogurt! Scrambled eggs just about made me puke I was so full after 2 bites. LOL

Just sip sip sip on your drinks/protein. I tried to have at least 2 cups of Crystal Light with protein in it a day, didn't always work, but it was a good goal. Baby steps!!!

YAY YOU!!! Keep at it girl!!
Highest Weight Ever:312 StartW:272 CW:164 SW:253 GW:180  Height 5'10"

sipis
on 11/15/11 1:51 am
I've been eating a lot of "fake lasagna" - if you take ricotta and layer it with tomato sauce and bake it it's really mushy and also delish.  If I'm feeling crazy I'll add a little fresh parmasean on top.  It'sfull of protein and the closest I've felt to real food. 

Have you tried an egg yet?  A cheesy egg made with milk can be prepared really really wet and it's something to chew on which made all the difference to me.  

As for when you can move to another stage, I don't really know how to explain how I knew... it just felt right and the dietician said it was fine so I went for it.  When I didn't have any problems I just considered myself to be at that stage.  

Good luck :)
TotalKa_os
on 11/15/11 8:55 am - Canada
I agree with everything Kokonut said...don't worry too much yet.
I also drank the premier shakes from costco...often mixing some protein isolate and yogurt with it.
But now I can't drink them...my pouch doesn't like them at all.
I just put 2 scoops of powder in a cereal bowl at the start of each day and try to add a pinch here or there to various things. If at the end of the night, I still have powder left, I make myself a nice milkshake with frozen fruit, yogurt, crushed ice and the left over powder.
If you eat 2 scoops of powder throughout the day, that's 60 grams!!
I'm tall, so Laura recommended 80 grams for me.
My favourite protein source is cheese melted into some baked beans...SO GOOD!!! 
After a couple weeks, you can start pureeing beans (in a can)...you'll love it! Tastes like refried beans. After a week or 2 of that, you'll be able to crush them with a fork.
The ricotta cheese idea sounds really good...I'm going to try that!

Good luck! Before you know it, you'll be eating 'regular' foods again.
HW: 290 SW: 260 CW: 165 Their goal: 195 My goal: 160

Most Active