Day 2 Pre-op Diet

charleenc
on 10/18/11 12:56 am - Canada
Well today is the start of day 2 of the pre-op diet.  Yesterday was hard, had my shake in the morning, water throughout the morning, shake for lunch and then more water and sugar free kool-aid in the afternoon.  Had another shake about 4pm and then headed to the gym for my regular training session.  It was a real stuggle but I I made it through the workout.  Left feeling a little tired and when I got home I felt a little nauseaous....have never had that happen to me before.  Didn't feel like doing much once I got home so watched the hockey game and was out by 9pm which is not normal for me. 

This morning I felt better when I got up and when it was time to have my first shake I got it down but it was a struggle.  The Optifast shakes which they use now arent' too bad and are better then other protein rich shakes i have had in the past.  Just now very nervous how I am going ot make it through these two weeks.  They are already starting to taste horrible to me.   I want this surgery so bad but just wish I could have something even some veggies.  it would at least give me something to look forward to.  The post-op diet seems so much better than this cause at least there will be variety and you will be having some normal food.

justlori
on 10/18/11 5:27 am, edited 10/18/11 5:27 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12

What?  The two-week optifast diet doesn't include 2 cups of veggies per day like the medi-trim did? 

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

charleenc
on 10/18/11 5:37 am - Canada
We are only allowed to have 4 shakes per day, no veggies.  They changed it cause they didn't think people were getting in enough calories with the three medi-trim shakes and veggies which is why they switched to the Optifast.  I would do anything to have some veggies right now. 

You can have sugar-free kool-aid, crystal ligh****er, tea, coffee (without cream or milk or sugar).  That has not changed.

Right now I feel like a truck ha**** me and would do anything for a veggie.
justlori
on 10/18/11 6:19 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12
oh my word....the pre-op diet has gone from bad to worse.  Who would have thought?  Stay strong Charleen...you can do it! 

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

skyteddy
on 10/18/11 6:05 am
I could not say how you feel as i didnt have to do the fast before surgery thank god, but when you get home after surgery you will have to do it having ony liquids anyways and at 3rd week you crave solids or something other than liquids keep on trucking the battle will be over soon. Good Luck

TotalKa_os
on 10/18/11 6:15 am - Canada
You go girl!!! Just think... you're 1/7th of the way there! 
It DOES get easier...days 1-5 were the worst for me...then it did get easier and I didn't feel so hungry or tired. It's almost like my body got used to it and it just adjusted.
The liqud diet SUCKS but it is really good for preparing you for life after surgery....you'll be so excited for the applesauce and yogurt and pudding that you get when you're on the 'other side'!! 
I say...forget the gym!!! I'm impressed that you are still going but you NEED to conserve your energy. You'll need all the energy from your shakes to get through your days.
By the weekend, you should start feeling a bit better and not so nauseous and tired.
Best tip I received from one of these lovely OH ladies...GO TO BED EARLY!! I went to bed around 9 each night on my 2 week diet...I was a basket case if I tried to stay up with my hubby!
Keep us posted!
K

HW: 290 SW: 260 CW: 165 Their goal: 195 My goal: 160

tuckergirl
on 10/18/11 10:34 am - Canada
Wow.

i have to say that I'm not sure i could have done it without veggies!!
so i TOTALLY admire you!!!!!!

BUT I believe you can do it & it's SOOOO rewarding!!!!!!!
cheering you on!!!!

Ticker id: tnRU

charleenc
on 10/18/11 11:47 pm - Canada

Ladies you are truly amazing.  Today is another day and am feeling a lot better today.  Got a good nights sleep and just keep thinking about life on the other side.  This is only temporary and soon I can start having some regular food.  Pudding, applesauce and jello will be so yummy after all this. 

I just keeping telling myself I can do it, I can do it. 

Things will only get easier and the rewards will be amazing.

A little bit of a boost to my day yesterday was someone trying to set me up with her son : )

cedarstar
on 10/19/11 8:52 am - Manitoba, Canada
You're doing wonderful and you are almost there! It's so exciting! I too don't think I could have made it 2 weeks without the veggies. Some days I only managed to get in 2 shakes because they were just getting to me. Can you have sugar free jello? It's so low in calories. I also agree you should skip the gym and conserve your energy. Before you know it you'll be home healing, sipping water and eating pudding. It goes really fast! 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

mama-of-2
on 10/20/11 6:14 am - Canada

Right now out of all the posts, this is the one I am reading daily. I start those wonderful "shakes" on Monday. I've been wondering the same thing as you. I worry about only having these shakes for 2 weeks. I think I'm going to miss the sensation of actually chewing. Good to hear all the reviews and that life gets easier after about day 5 or so. Thank goodness we weren't those "people" who needed to have the shakes only for 3-4 weeks and only 2.
So to prepare for no more food and not eating the way I have been I am going to eat till I'm sick all day Sunday. I've already been saying goodbye to my favorites. Made my favorite cake yesterday with my son. Going for a slurpee tonight, and anything else I can think up until I go to bed on Sunday. Am I awful or what?!
J.

Most Active