no longer OBESE!

Used2Bthin
on 10/11/11 1:43 am - Canada
Well, I have been missing from this board for a bit and thought I would give an update.  I have learned many things about myself from having weightloss surgery.  First thing,  When I was "Morbidly Obese"  I thought I was happy.   I had friends, I felt confident.  I thought if you dont like how I look, dont look at me.  6 months after surgery I have lost over 100 pounds and I am just in the overweight category.  I now know what it is to be happy, What it is to be confident!  I realize now that I was not happy before but I was just getting by.  It was a state I was in for so many years that I did not know the difference.  I got my perfomance appraisal at work, and the main comment that struck me was my boss noted I came to life this summer.  She was not sure what made the change but I was confident and a leader.  It is not the weightloss itself that made the difference but when you are not focussed on not looking fat, you can focus on so much more.

I have made new friends and I am willing to put myself out their more.  I have way more energy and doing the small things like picking stuff off the ground is no longer a chore.  I have been recently fascinated with the fact that not only do I have a neck and a collar bone but I also have a ribcage.  I have not seen that since high school!

I have also found out that there are many people that when you start say they are going to support you, but slowly you find out that they are not really that supportive.  People who say things like, you took the easy way out.  For anyone who has had this surgery, we all know this is not an easy road to travel, and it is a life long change.  Also, I went from here fat jokes to jokes about "if you turn sideways, you might disapear".  Not that is is insulting but it is annoying that people are so interested in my weightloss.  Oh ya, I also here the "is it healthy", "you need to eat more" comments.  The I am concerned!  I almost asked "Were you concerned I would have a heartattack when I was bigger"

At the end of the day, I figure if that is my biggest problem, I am a very lucky person.  I have so much of my future to look foward to.  I am happy at the thought of a future.  I have so many dreams now, I have started making long term goals both work and personal.  I have even for the first time in years started to think about dating!

I still dont drink enough water, and I still dont get in all my protien some days, but I live in the real world.  It will be something I struggle with for the rest of my life but it is a good struggle.  I like the new me and the person I am becoming.  In my early days after surgery, this board helped me out so much so I would like to thank all of you for the support, advice and encouragement.  I want to say good luck to those who have had the surgery and for those who are thinking about it as well.  It is not the easy choice.  You give up alot but the rewards are wonderful.

Well that is my update to all.  Have a great day!
     Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat.  Open RNY March 28 2011.  Start weight 253 current weight 122.       
Kokonut
on 10/11/11 1:57 am
WOW!!! I love this post!! I was just thinking this weekend how much my life had changed in the last year and I was trying to sum it up(in my head) to eventually try to ge*****ped or written out. YOU HIT THE NAIL on the head! The wavering support, the thinking we were happy fat but realizing we were just getting by, the skinny comments..lol. I too wondered why it is ok to say OMG you're so thin..are you healthy? Why didn't I get the OMG you're so fat, are you healthy?...is it appropriate in any case?? I think NOT!

Anyways..YOU GO GIRL!!! You have done so well for yourself, even if you(we) do struggle to get all protein and water in! This is the real deal. We are on the path to the new and improved us! I am soooo thankful for this chance and I tell Dr. Vergis everytime I see him!

KUDOS TO YOU!!!
Highest Weight Ever:312 StartW:272 CW:164 SW:253 GW:180  Height 5'10"

Sista10
on 10/11/11 3:38 am - Winnipeg, Canada
Thanks for your update. I can relate to a lot of the things you have gone through and are experiencing. Its a new life, lots of changes, all good.
tuckergirl
on 10/12/11 3:14 pm - Canada
I echo EVERYTHING that was said above me!!

You are an inspiration!!

Ticker id: tnRU

newme210
on 10/14/11 9:15 am

holy cow you have lost so much congratulations.  i am at147 right now.  you are doing much better tan me.  i find it hard to eat at work.  i am glad to hear from you.

Most Active