Surgery in Manitoba

LisaGay44
on 8/23/11 2:33 pm
My cousin and friend are trying to get referral for WLS in Manitoba. Can someone provide contact info? I know a few of you have had the surgery here. My cousin was told it is not available here in Winnipeg.
The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman.(Author unknown)

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 3:07 pm
 you need a referal from your gp.the drs name is dr.C.andrews" at the st.b bariatric center .you have to meet a certain criteria to be apporved for the surgery as it iscurrently on a trial basis.the wait time is getting longer as more people find out about it.,my wait time was from Aug 2010(referal) to may26(day of surgery) but now it is roughly 3 yrs from what i am told .i hope this helps.if you get accepted in to program you must meet with dietian,drs,and shrink before you are concidered cleared for surgery.alot of others had to get more tests done but not me.
sondra
LisaGay44
on 8/24/11 12:15 am
Thanks so much, she might be better to try and get out to Medicine Hat as they are picking up more patients. I will let her know either way.

Again thanks

Lisa
The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman.(Author unknown)

sexy_me
on 8/24/11 5:55 am
VSG on 02/06/12
I've been recently informed by my GP that the wait time is just a little past 1.5 yrs from begin to scheduling a surgery date. He looked into program again to see if any flexiblity could be had.. but alas i still dont qualify for here due to the strict program guidelines BMI 47 or less, little complications. So i'm headed out of province which isnt too bad since i already had first consult in may. 
Karenerickson
on 8/24/11 9:50 am - Portage La Prairie, Canada
I hope  you have good luck in Medicine Hat, I phoned about a referral but was told that by the time my name came up I would be past their age restrictions so he would refuse me outright. She said their w ait time was 3 years. I was very disappointed, so now I have asked my Dr to refer me to Regina. Hoping to hear something soon.

Karen
LisaGay44
on 8/24/11 1:26 pm
Sorry to hear that Karen, I waited for about 2 years for Medicine Hat and then got a call 9 months early for surgery. Good luck in Regina. Did you try here as well.

Hes0775
on 8/24/11 2:13 pm
FYI:  I recently spoke to the administrator at the bariatric clinic and she advised me the wait time was currently about 12 months from referral to your first consult, then 8-10 months more till a scheduled surgery.   
Karenerickson
on 8/25/11 4:42 am - Portage La Prairie, Canada
If you were asking if I was referred for Winnipeg, I was but was turned down as my BMI is 53 and it can't be over 47. I was told I was placed on a waiting list for when they opened the criteria but so far that hasn't happened.
Regina told me the wait list was about 18 months so it isn't any longer than Winnipeg and I know I meet their criteria. Hoping to hear from them soon.

Karen
Most Active