Hospital Stay.... (con't)

Hes0775
on 7/10/11 12:57 pm

Is an overnight hospital stay mandatory for everyone?  A friend had a similar surgery done recently through a private clinic and she went home the same day. (it may have been a different bariatric proceedure though)  Just wondering how much time I should plan to take off work. 

I'm a January referral so I'm still waiting to hear anything.  Any info would be appreciated about what I should expect. 

Thanks, Ladies. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 1:10 pm
yes its mandatory,i stayed 2 nights and 1 in hotel as i am from outside wpg.i took a month off.the first couple of weeks were rough for me.
they are currently working on aug,sept referrals(i think)
Tanya W.
on 7/11/11 12:03 am - Winnipeg, Canada

The shortest hospital stay seems to be 2 days. It can be longer if you have any complications.

They say to take 4-6 weeks off of work. Some people who had the sleeve went back after two. I had the RNY, took off 4 weeks and wish I could have taken off 5. I had severe nausea for weeks after surgery and could not have functioned that way at work.

Used2Bthin
on 7/12/11 1:31 pm - Canada
I had an RNY and was in the hospital for 12 days. That is a long stay but I ended up having 2 surgeries due to complications. I ended up being off work for a total of 8 weeks. I think you need the time off because you need to get used to living on the reduced calories so your energy levels are pretty low in the beginning.
     Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat.  Open RNY March 28 2011.  Start weight 253 current weight 122.       
Kokonut
on 7/13/11 4:54 am
I stayed for a 5 days, I also had a small complication that kept me there. By the 5th day I was chomping at the bit to go home. I am a stay home mom. The first 3 days, I kept one of my older kids home to help me with my toddler. I was dragging my butt for 5 weeks! I think it was due to my complication though,  not the surgery itself.

My best advice would be to plan for the most time off possible and keep the option of going back to work sooner if you feel awesome. You just never know how you will do. I think Hayley(manyquestions4you) got out the next day..she had VSG like me.

Good luck!!!
Highest Weight Ever:312 StartW:272 CW:164 SW:253 GW:180  Height 5'10"

Sista10
on 7/13/11 8:21 am - Winnipeg, Canada
I was going to be sent home the day after the surgery, but I had complications, not from the sleeve itself.
I was in for 9 days and off for 2 months, now I feel pretty good.
Most Active