The media needs all the facts

Nancy N.
on 11/4/03 10:45 pm - Atkinson, NH
Hi There, I'm new posting here, but feel we have a real problem with negative publicity on the gastric bypass. I'm very concerned that this problem with one surgeon can have a ripple effect on the future of the surgery in the future. I think if we can speak up about the benefits of becoming healthy and not dying from stroke, heart attacks, diabetes, and the many other fatal causes from morbid obesity, than this can be diverted and allow us to continue to have the option of surgery.
mary G.
on 11/5/03 8:26 pm - dudley, ma
You're so right about that. I heard the problem was not the surgeon but the "staple gun" -- supposedly it malfunctioned. Hopefully, we'll get more info.
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/03 8:33 am - haverhill, MA
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I live in Haverhill....the next town over from here the woman who passed away lives. Our local paper did some very negative writing about the surgery without having all the appropriate info. Our local support group emailed and called the offending reporters. A much more accurate and informative article was published in this Saturday's paper. Ahhhh.....the power of the people!
Mark G.
on 11/11/03 3:55 am - Boston, MA
I would respectfully suggest there was not "this problem with one surgeon". The Boston Globe did a follow up last week which detailed the large number of problems that they have had with the stapler involved. This is clearly not a new problem nor one that can be ascribed to one surgeon. I confess to feeling somewhat defensive about Dr. Lautz, the doctor named in the article, as he was also my surgeon. I am now two weeks post op and he did a fantastic job for me. Unfortunately, the Globe articles point out that there can be complications even when every member of the medical staff does their job exactly as planned and it is the equipment which is the problem. I would strongly recommend any person who is considering WLS to look into the program at Brigham & Womens and Dr. Lautz. The staff and the facility are absolutely world class, the patient service is outstanding and I would trust Dr. Lautz with my life (which I guess I just did).
caj1260
on 11/12/03 9:51 am - Weymouth, MA
THe media makes it sound as though this stapler problem is only with gastric bypass, which it's not. How about printing the success rates? They sell more papers/ have more viewers with the negativity. cj
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 629 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2197 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4386 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4512 views