New at MGH Weight Center

cpower100
on 7/25/14 5:07 am

Hi all,

I just completed my first appointment at the MGH weight center and it looks like things are on track for a RNY procedure.  I am going back next week for a final decision and a refferal to a surgeon.  I am super nervous about this and would like to hear some feedback from others who have been to MGH weight center and what their experiences were.  Also what was the time frame from your surgical refferal to actual surgery?  I have aprox 100 lbs to loose and I keep wondering if I should just keep trying it on my own despite the fact that it has not been working.  

Thank You!

Dan T.
on 7/29/14 11:30 pm
VSG on 06/10/15

I don't have a full answer for you, but I'm a little further ahead than you are -- hopefully we can learn from each other's experiences! I have been working with the Weight Center for a few months -- went to an info session in April and my first appointment was at the beginning of May. After the initial appointment I was sent to meet with an MD to screen out complications/contraindications, and then was referred to the pre-surgical nutrition group. I understand that I'll actually meet with a surgeon when I've finished that, probably at the end of August/early September. I'm afraid I haven't got a clue how long it'll be from then until surgery, but I'll report back when I hear more!

My recommendation would be to be very proactive about scheduling appointments and following up. Every time I have been in, they've told me someone will call me -- and then it takes them weeks and weeks to call back. Going forward, I'm going to be making those phone calls myself.

sparker781
on 8/17/14 10:49 pm - Malden, MA

Good luck to both of you.  I am post-op about a week with Dr Denise Gee, who was super nice and answered any questions I had.  I had my surgery on the 13th and was home the following day mainly cause I was up and walking everywhere I could.  Is there any question I can try an answer for you guys?  Feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help

Good Luck Again

Stu

cpower100
on 10/4/14 5:39 pm

Hi.  So my original post was back in august after first meeting with dr butsch.  All of my appointments went great and I was scheduled for rny on October 6th.  On my final pre op visit with the surgeon (dr hutter) 5 days prior to surgery he cancelled bc he wanted more testing.  I am going back in to see him on Wednesday but I am Devestated!  I am afraid he is going to reject doing the surgery.  Is it possible that one surgeon could reject and another might accept you?  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 629 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2197 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4386 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4512 views