Wednesday Roll Call

Phatchick
on 5/27/15 5:15 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Hola Peeps,

I'm already pooped from dragging all the stuff outside for the Salvation Army pick-up.

I'm no longer working at the law firm. The regular lady came back from sick leave. The lawyer wrote me a great letter of reference and asked me if i could reduce my hours to just cover lunches everyday!?!?!?!?!? G and i talked about it, and it just isnt worth driving all the way to Homewood for 2 hours per day. I said I would cover sick/vacation days until they found someone, So I am looking again. I am learning there is a new normal and it's a weird normal for old ladies like me.

I saw a head hunter last week who hounded me for 3 months to come in to discuss a number of positions that would be awesome for me. But when he met me he said "oh, you sound about 17 on the phone, I was wondering how someone so young could have all that experience......translation: "You are older than I expected!" All those opportunities must have dried up because I never heard from him again. My husband says I need to reivent myself. I dont know what that means for me.

It's a good thing I dont have an ego anymore.........

Well, I am off to do something.

Hugs,

Sharon

crystal M.
on 5/27/15 6:47 am - Joliet, IL

Hello everyone

Oh what a weekend.  We packed and cleaned the apartment most of the night Friday.  Saturday I woke up and started getting things ready for our party.  It went well.  The weather was perfect and the food was great.  Greg grilled burgers and stuffed mushrooms.  We had watermelon and chips.  And beer and iced tea.  

Sunday we got his office situated and the garage organized...it was raining so it was the perfect indoor thing to do.  And Monday we did some relaxing....we ran and did some groceries and picked up some electronic stuff that Greg needed.  Ahhhh.

Greg said to me the other day.  You know I am going to cook dinner you.  You don't always have to do the cooking.  So he is cooking for me today.  We will see what he makes. 

Sharon- I don't think everyone is as narrow minded as that head hunter.  With age comes maturity and experience that those younger people don't have.  And like one lady pointed out to me once- one advantage to being older your family is grown and you no longer have to juggle.  So bosses no longer have to worry about time off for sick kids and school functions or maternity leave.  A narrow minded person would not think about these things.  You know when I was out of work years ago.  I felt that way about being over weight.  That no one wanted to hire me because I was fat.  It's all about insecurities.   There is nothing wrong with reinventing yourself.  But still be yourself...I like yourself...it a great self!!!! 

Well back to work all.  have a good day.

LisaTucker
on 5/27/15 10:05 am - IL

Sharon, I was just outside with the power washer. You need to use yours, it is great!

That head hunter is nuts, you can get him on discrimination if you want to. That comment could get him in lots of trouble. Sex, age, and color cannot be used against you.

Crystal, you have a great guy there. I know you two will weather all the storms of a life together will bring. BTW, when do we all get to meet him?

My phone is acting up. I need to run to the phone store to see what it is doing.

Otherwise, just doing some stuff that needs done.

Hugs,

Lisa

Phatchick
on 5/27/15 10:21 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Yes, Crystal and Lisa .......you are correct....it is my insecurities........the last time I looked for a job I was 15 years younger and I didnt even think about age........I guess I can always give out carts at the Walmart

crystal M.
on 5/27/15 1:02 pm - Joliet, IL

Lisa- You all will meet him when we have our wedding party when we get back from our Honeymoon.  You all will be invited.  We aren't sure of the details yet but it will probably be in early-mid September.  So unless we have a get together before that. You will have to wait till then. 

berts4
on 5/28/15 7:48 pm - Rock City, IL

I guess we need to get together sooner, then!

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

Nancy G.
on 5/27/15 7:25 pm - La Salle, IL

Hello Everyone! 

Checking in as I have time.  I have been home sick since Friday.  A great way to spend a holiday weekend!  Most of it was spent sleeping waking up long enough to cough and blow my nose.  Ugh!  I will be heading back to work tomorrow.  

Last week at work was so sad.  We had 35 people leave.  We had a farewell blow out party on Wednesday.  The provided grilled chops, hotdogs, fresh fruit, potato salad and brownies.  There were raffle drawings of the decorations that we used at the center over the years.  Very bittersweet.  After everyone left on Friday it seemed so empty!  We lose more in June and of course I go in July.  A lot have already left as they have found other positions.  So it is getting lonely in there.  In my row of cubicals there is no one nor is there anyone in the next row over.  My whole team is gone save for two other people.  My supervisor is even gone on medical leave! 

Of course the calls are still coming in.  Things are the same but different.  Weird.  

Rick was in the hospital last week for a leg infection.  He has had it quite a while but they are really getting it treated well and the infection is now gone and that is a huge relief to me and to him.  

The cats are doing their normal cute things.  Gizzy is still escaping.  We still do not know if he can find his way home because he always gets found by someone and they see his phone number on his tag and call us.  We go and fetch him home and he gets a car ride!  He thinks this is a great game!  Groan!

Crystal, your home sounds great!  I am sure you and Greg will love being home owners.  Dawn, keep your ear open for potential openings to find the right spot.  Sharon, I have faith that you will find the right spot for you.  Dont let age get you down.  My dentist and I had and interesting conversation when I said I was too old for job hunting.  He stated he preferred the older worker as they were experienced, had a work ethic, were not glued to their cell phones nor were they clock watchers and out the door on the dot!  They were much more concientious and willing to go that extra mile.  It made me think.  Lisa, I hope you are enjoying your summer.  Connie, you make your work sound like fun! 

Everyone have a great day!

Cat Lady

berts4
on 5/28/15 7:57 pm - Rock City, IL

Good evening Sharon and the rest of Illinois!

You and me, both.....reinventing.  I have that interview tomorrow morning and I am praying that it goes well. 

I almost walked out of my retail job this morning.  I just can not handle the scheduling hassles.  I work part-time and they asked my availability.  I tell them my availability and it is DENIED?  How can when I am available be denied?  Then, I follow the protocol for time off and THAT is denied and I am scheduled when I can't work.  Grrrrr.......  I AM learning many lessons, which is why I figured God put me there.  The biggest being that not only am I not cut out for retail, but I have great admiration for those that are and respect for those that are able to handle it.  If I am going to work retail for minimum wage and be treated badly, I can do it closer to home so that I do not have to add 2 hours to each work day for travel time.  We WILL find ways to be useful and help with household expenses.

So.....I am job hunting and sure that I will be placed where I can do some good.

I think we should try to get together before the summer gets to busy.  What do you all think?

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1085 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5609 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5352 views