Having a hard time pre-op doing my 6 month diet

Lexie A.
on 8/4/03 1:47 pm - Savannah, GA
Hi All! I am so grateful this group is here! My insurance company (City of Brunswick - ppo is Southcare) requires me to be on a diet prescribed by my doctor for six months. I was told very honestly that if I succeeded, lost weight that might bring my BMI down to 36 or 37 wouldn't be held against me. I was even told (very helpfully) that Weigh****chers would be a good, inexpensive way to fulfill this. I have yet to start. The only meeting anywhere near me is on Wednesday nite. Last Wednesday, I was too tired. This Wednesday I have to go to an open house at my son's school as he's starting kindergarten. My husband can't take my place as he works shift work and won't be home. Both meetings are EXACTLY at the same time. I wondered if instead of going to Weigh****chers, my insurance company would let me use EDiets online. Has anyone had a similar experience. The last problem is that work-wise my slowest time is in December, which only leaves me with 4 months now. My contact at my ins co (who is the person who does the approval) originally told me back the end of June that to accomodate me, she would approve if after 5 months. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm trying to sabatoge myself. BUT, I did talk to a friend tonite and she pointed out that starting a little later may mean at worst that the ins co won't approve in for December - that maybe I'd have to wait until February 2004. What's two months? Right? I keep watching Dr. Phil and love his shows on why we're overweight. I know... eating for comfort. I quit drinking (it was becoming a problem) in 1996, initially lost, but after a year gained some back. I had financial problems with my fiance in 2000 - gained more... finally decided that there was never going to be the idea time to quit smoking so I did two years ago and put on more. I'm happily remarried with a wonderful 5 year old son and I finally decided that this year I had no excuse. I signed up at Curves (gym for women). I've been once. I went on the Atkins Diet for 4 months and lost only 10 lbs; most likely because of the calories - if I could keep those carbs under 20 a day, I thought I'd still lose weight. Sausage, Bacon, Pork Rinds, Mayonnaise, Ranch Dressing.... You can keep your carb count way down, but calories count. I feel so hopeful about this surgery. If I could just get back to a "normal" weight, I feel like I'd want to exercise more - ride bikes with my husband and son. Right now, being depressed, it's hard to do anymore than work part-time and be a Mom. I'm also looking for someone who has the time to exchange emails with me. I live in Richmond Hill, GA (right outside Savannah) and plan to have my surgery done by Dr. Henderson in Brunswick. If you have the time... email me at [email protected] Thx a lot for listening!
Rose H.
on 8/11/03 11:07 am - Augusta, Ga
Lexi, hello. It sounds like you are really racing for the finish line. That is a hard demand to put on you. I would make sure I had it in writing. Diets of any kind are really dangerous for me. I think my metabolism had gone to wired out. My physician asked me to try Dr. Atkins Diet. I went through the getting off on the right foot. I went back and read the books, recipes. I was on it for about a month and half. I didn't lose weight. I felt full and bloated most of the time. After I stopped it, I began a rampage of weight gain. At times, I feel like the cycle maybe coming to a stop. In the meantime, I'm up to over 310lbs. The greatest amount I've ever weighed and I feel like I am dying. It is misery I had not felt in all these years of obesity. Oh course, I have numerous comobidities and the weight gain has made everything worse. I will go for a consult myself here in Augusta on the 3rd of September with a Dr. Gooden. My insurance is Medicare. I've spent the time gathering medical records of all my numerous attempts over the years and all the medical problems I have. It' now doing the time for consult and seeing were I am on the blessing chain. Know that I feel for you girl in having to wait and the problems associated with getting to the program meetings. If you wanna talk further, email back to [email protected]. I recommend you get into chat as often as you can for the extra support.
ghe5522
on 9/7/03 5:17 am - Dallas, TX
Do what I do. Go online and join Weigh****chers. The link is: http://www.weigh****chers.com No one will be the wiser that you didn't actually attend face-to- face meetings. This is convenient, but you have to be more disciplined. Not having to face a scale every Monday night (my Weigh****chers night) tends to let you cheat a little more. Hang in there, and I hope you meet your deadline. --Glenda
Most Active