Questions about Surgeons

paula K.
on 7/24/13 12:11 am - newnan, GA
DS on 12/04/13

Hi there!  I am wondering what experience you have had with surgeons.  I went to one seminar from Dr. William Johnson at Johns Creek and enjoyed his seminar, but did not like the fact that they have many out of pocket costs that won't be submitted to insurance - it just felt like they were looking for additional money.  I went and met with Dr. Macik yesterday and found him personally to be very lacking in any type of personality or bedside manner.  I also felt like I needed to pull information out of him.  Many of the things he told me I was not familiar with - like after surgery all I need to eat is protein and a multi-vitamin.  His exact words were that my body needs nothing else - not vegetables, not fruit, only about 400 calories made up of protein every day and a vitamin.  This seems concerning to me as it goes against everything I've ever been told by any nutritionist or Dr.  I also asked how you would get in required protein in the early stages when only on liquids, he said it's very easy and doesn't recommend any supplemental protein "shots" like Dr. Johnson's team did.  Dr. Macik also told me he thought my ending weight loss would be at 170 - which still puts my BMI in the overweight category.  Is this a normal thing?

Also, when I asked Dr. Macik about leakage (I'm doing a sleeve) he told me its about 3% and if it happens I'd be in the hospital for a few weeks, but it's not like anyone dies from it,  Very nonchalantly. It was said in the same manner you might tell someone they could get a runny nose...

Does anyone have any advice on this - on what types of food you eat after surgery, other Doctors, etc.  I am very confused now!  

uglymouse
on 7/24/13 8:07 am - newnan, GA

I have only been to one seminar and that was at Piedmont with Dr. Proctor and Dr, McGill.  Dr Proctor did the seminar, and he talked about they make sure there is no leak.  They will do a test before they finish to make sure there is no leaks.  There is no program fee, adn they check your insurance to see what is covered.  I did my one on one, and he answered more questions.  He did say protein came first, then the others.  

It is overwhelming to learn all about this.  

Cbaker1163
on 7/25/13 9:48 am
Revision on 07/12/13

Check out Dr. Duncan with Peachtree Bariatrics, he's located in Atlanta. He did my original RNY back in 2001, and I just had a revision on July 12th. He is great and his staff very friendly, I do believe he does seminars for the newbies. Good luck to you!

Diamond1997
on 9/22/13 5:51 am
Congratulations!! What type of revision did you have?
curiouscat7
on 10/29/13 2:05 am

Sorry but he has had a ton of lawsuits against him and sanctions.. I would stay very clear..it may have worked out for you but a lot more get hurt  by him

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Cbaker1163
on 10/29/13 5:48 am
Revision on 07/12/13

He has no sanctions, there was only 1 l

Cbaker1163
on 10/29/13 5:51 am
Revision on 07/12/13

Sorry--issues with my iPad. I can only speak from personal experience, mine and about 20 of my friends & family, all used Duncan, with the exception of 1, and it was because she was out of state( and she was the only one of any of us that had issues) He's a great physician, and on the board of one of the best trauma centers in Atlanta. 

pastorkerry
on 7/29/13 12:15 pm - GA
RNY on 12/20/12
Dr Strindberg at Atlanta surgical associates is awesome. His while staff are great to work with. He did my RNY last December.
Nick E.
on 8/2/13 7:56 am - Duluth, GA

Dr. Macik was my surgeon for a Sleeve almost three years ago. I lost 185 lbs and kept 165 lbs off since. I selected Dr. Macik based solely on his excellent medical reputation and  looked to his great staff and the Johns Creek Support group for the Softer Support stuff. I was told to strive for a minimum of 60 grams of protein daily with a daily calorie count of 500 -1200 calories as I progressed through the first year. My only regret is that I didn't make the decision years earlier.

cindylou59
on 10/9/13 12:11 pm
Dr. Wesley Turton in LaGrange is the best! I am 1 week after surgery. A nurse or dietitian has called me every day! They provide great support. They have a group that meets monthly for after surgery.

I highly recommend dr. Turton and West Georgia Medical.
Most Active