UPDATE ON MY REVISION FROM LAPBAND TO RNY.....Tips and Warnings!

NY2ATL *
on 2/22/13 12:38 am, edited 2/22/13 1:05 am

This past summer, after months of vomiting, and pain whenever I ate, my Dr. discovered my lap ban had slipped nearly 30 degrees, and it would need to be removed.

I was told by my original surgeons office (Dr. Ahad Khan) that Medicare will only pay for ONE weight loss surgery in a lifetime, and there was no point in trying to get a RNY approved. They said they could take my band out, but could not do a revision because Medicare would deny it.

I don't give up that easy! I went to Peachtree Surgical and Bariatrics, (Dr. Larry Hobson) and after jumping through all the usual hoops of pre-op testing, including another psych and nutrition evaluation.

I was approved... 72 HOURS after they submitted my paperwork to Medicare!

Thank you Dr. Khan for the MIS-INFORMATION!

On Nov 5, I had my band removed, and I was revised to RNY.

I had gained back almost 40 pounds in the past year because all I could eat was crumbly or mushy foods. Those types of foods contain a lot of carbs, and carbs are my enemy! Always have been.

Since my surgery on Nov 5, I'm down 30 pounds, back on high protein, low carb...and the best thing is the thought of eating anything sweet makes me physically nauseous. That's a blessing, because I'm a sugar addict!

My goal is to lose 30 more pounds, 20 to get where I was before my band slipped, (130) and 10 more because I know I can!!

120...I'm coming for you!!

Thanks to all of you that sent me best wishes and good vibes..

The surgery and recovery wasn't bad....however...

WARNING: ATLANTA MEDICAL CENTER....THE WORST CARE I've ever received!

If you have any choice of Hospitals DO NOT choose AMC!! I would go HOURS with an EMPTY IV bag, that was beeping loudly, and no one would come. They never once measured my urine output that was neccesary to make sure my kidneys were functioning properly, the mechanical leg compression device would have to be unhooked when I went to the bathroom, was left unhooked for hours, despite my ringing for the nurse..all I got was "someone will be there in a moment". NOT! The biggest concern after surgery is blood clots, that compression device was there for a reason...all I can say is, DON'T GO TO AMC!

All in all, I'm happy I had the band removed, no more pain when eating...I can eat a healthy diet again, as you may know I'm an advocate of Low Carb. Now I'm able to eat lean meats, chicken, fish, fresh vegetables, eggs, cheese and low sugar fruits again. I also eat one small portion of high fiber grains a day (usually at breakfast)

TIP: I buy high fiber, low carb bagels and hot cereal from: www.LOWCARBU.com. The cinnamon raisin bagels are delicious! They're huge, so I only have half, toasted up and spritzed with some "I can't believe its not butter spray". That and a cheese omelette is my favorite breakfast.

What's missing from my diet? SUGAR, SWEETS AND OTHER HIGH CARB FOODS.

Thus, 30 pounds gone, with the rest to follow!

If I had to describe life after my revision to RNY?

Effortless.

I eat the proper foods because I know low carb is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Because of the size of my pouch, I eat  smaller portions.

I walk 30 minutes a day, and do 100 crunches 50 in the AM, 50 in the PM....and the weight comes off.

It's great to be a "LOSER" again!

Thank you all for your support.

I'm not online very often, but I will check in from time to time. If you don't hear from me right away, I'm not snubbing you!! LOL I'm just not here!

Have a great weekend everyone :)

For Low Carb Recipes:
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LCRECIPES/discussion/  

LaShelle2
on 3/7/13 10:35 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
wittyme
on 9/11/13 12:14 pm

SO, I have to ask... any physical difference in the way you felt having the band in comparison to the rny? I'm in process of revision. (:

Most Active