Dr. Aceves RNY to DS Revision

Beautywithin
on 7/19/13 6:46 am - San Jose, CA

I want to know if anyone has had an RNY to DS revision with Dr. Aceves. I found 1 person that has, but they have not responded to my message. Not sure if that is a good sign. Please let me know if anyone had this type of surgery done with Dr. Aceves or in Mexico. I would love to get some feedback about their experience. I will repost on the Mexico & Revision forums as well.

MajorMom
on 7/19/13 8:04 am - VA

Dr Acheves isn't known for RNY to DS revisions. I understand that Dr Ungson is no longer doing a RNY to DS in Mex but a RNY to ERNY now. RNY to DS is very complicated and there are only a few in the US that are recommended: Rabkin, Kesheshian, Roslin, Elariny and Stewart...there may be more but I'm pulling them from my brain and it's getting old.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 7/19/13 11:26 am - bay area, CA

I thought this sounded familiar. You have asked about this before. Unfortunately, the news has not changed - Dr. Aceves has an excellent reputation but does not do RNY to DS revisions. Neither does Dr. Ungson. If there is anyone in Mexico doing them, I haven't heard of it, and I would be extremely cautious about any other surgeon there, as this operation is very complex and high risk. The last thing you want is a surgeon who lacks sufficient experience in this specific operation, regardless of location.

Since you live in San Jose, you might be interested in meeting with our local support group. The group is sponsored by Dr. Rabkin but is open to anyone. It is DS oriented but again, open to anyone. There is no fee and no committment. It's a small, friendly group. At the moment, we are working on a new meeting cite, but hopefully we'll have that sorted out soon. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Larra

Beautywithin
on 7/19/13 12:09 pm, edited 7/19/13 12:11 pm - San Jose, CA

I am asking again because I did read a post from someone who stated that they did get an RNY to DS revision from Dr. Aceves with Dr. Ungson's assistance. Not sure if Dr. Ungson is teaching him or what. I was hoping that maybe more had gotten this done with them and could give me some feedback. The person that got it done does not have any updates and has not responded to my message. I checked Dr. Rabkin's self-pay prices and he is just not an option for me.

larra
on 7/19/13 12:58 pm - bay area, CA

I completely understand about the cost issue. You might want to check on Dr. Stewart in Denton, Tx. I have heard he has a self-pay package, but I don't know what his cost is.

Dr. Ungson did work with Dr. Aceves when Dr. Aceves started doing the DS, which wasn't all that long ago. Dr. Aceves is now doing the DS on his own, though I think patients can pay extra to have Dr. Ungson there as well. But as far as RNY to DS revisions go, I never saw the post you refer to of a patient who supposedly had revision from RNY to DS with Dr. Aceves, and given that he hasn't been doing the DS for all that long, I still think you may be mistaken. I could believe revision from lap band or sleeve to DS, but not RNY.

But hey, if you do contact him and find out that he does them, let everyone know. We need as many resources as possible.

Larra

choctaw1949
on 7/21/13 2:31 am

I had a revision with Dr. Ungson who promised me that he would perform the DS.  Not so lucky.  He gave me a biliopancreatic diversion  which you do not want.  I know Dr. Aceves studied under Dr. Ungson so I would be very cautious.  Good luck to you. 

D. Switcher
on 8/15/13 10:12 am
On July 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM Pacific Time, choctaw1949 wrote:

I had a revision with Dr. Ungson who promised me that he would perform the DS.  Not so lucky.  He gave me a biliopancreatic diversion  which you do not want.  I know Dr. Aceves studied under Dr. Ungson so I would be very cautious.  Good luck to you. 

Could you be more specific, as to why the decision was made. There must be more to the story...
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/13 11:14 am
On July 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM Pacific Time, Beautywithin wrote:

I want to know if anyone has had an RNY to DS revision with Dr. Aceves. I found 1 person that has, but they have not responded to my message. Not sure if that is a good sign. Please let me know if anyone had this type of surgery done with Dr. Aceves or in Mexico. I would love to get some feedback about their experience. I will repost on the Mexico & Revision forums as well.

Oh no, run far far far away!  Aceves has only done 35-40 DS period.  RNY to DS is big and major.  No, not Aceves.  He was my surgeon, I know him well.  Not Aceves!!!

X-12
on 10/16/13 2:49 pm
On August 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM Pacific Time, ldb1095 wrote:
On July 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM Pacific Time, Beautywithin wrote:

Oh no, run far far far away!  Aceves has only done 35-40 DS period.  RNY to DS is big and major.  No, not Aceves.  He was my surgeon, I know him well.  Not Aceves!!!

IBD1095 I can't tell if you're trying to be sarcastic or not? The reason I am asking is because I am considering using Aceves to perform my band to DS and would like any and all input about him.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 761 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1052 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views