Sleeve & Common Channel Size Combo

LadyLucky
on 6/9/13 5:21 am - KS
What is your combo in sizes? Is there a normal combo? Probably not but I thought I would ask anyway. Did your combo help you get to your goal? Did it cause bathroom issues? If you're not happy with it, what would you have gone with instead?

My sleeve will be revised to a 30F Bougie and my surgeon normally does a 100cm common channel. Both seem very small. I am leaning toward having him do a 125 common channel. He said he would if that's what I want. Thoughts?
A. C
on 6/9/13 8:31 am

My sleeve is a 30F Bougie, my CC is 75-80c.  I wish both were bigger.  I wish my CC was about 125 or even 150.  I wish my stomach was larger as well. 

I feel like I would not have had the complications had they not been this config.

Irishnurse
on 6/9/13 8:44 am
DS on 04/17/13

MY Bougie is 30F and my CC is 75-80. I believe that is my surgeons usual. I am not far enough out to tell you whether I regret it or not or wished they were bigger. I do worry that I will wish for longer and bigger later on. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

airbender
on 6/9/13 9:58 am

the average, if there is one for the cc is 100cm.  my cc is longer so that i would not have as many potential nutritional issues years down he road.  my surgeon used to make a 75cm for a few years the shortest he makes is 125 cm.  both my parents have osteoporosis so i didnt want anything that short... generalizing the shorter the cc the more potential nutritional issues.....with a larger cc i have no bathroom issues at all....

MajorMom
on 6/9/13 10:22 am - VA

Very pleased with my 60f bouge and a 100cm common channel. I still was able to keep my sleeve tight but I know others with the same measures who have quite a bit of room after a year or so.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

meq815
on 6/9/13 10:59 am - PA

My CC is 125, alimentary 175 and sleeve is 42F.  At 6 weeks, I don't know if that's good or bad yet.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/9/13 2:25 pm, edited 6/9/13 2:25 pm - Jacksonville, FL

A 30F is a very very tight sleeve.  Having been on sleeve boards for around 7 years, I do not recommend that at all.  There is no reason you need that tight a sleeve with a 100 cm common channel.

Please, go for at least a 32F, preferably a 34F or greater.  Please.  

There can be a lot of issues with too tight sleeves--and you do not need one that tight if you have malabsorption.  Heck, respected sleeve-only surgeons won't do it that tight either because of complications.

Granted, each surgeon will vary slightly based on how tight he makes the sleeve around the bougie...but still... a 30 French is very very tight.

A 30F has a diameter of 10 mm.  That's about 0.393".  

A 34F will bring you up to a diameter of 11.3 mm... or 0.445"

Doesn't seem like a big difference, but it can make a gigantic difference.

(On a side note, I seem to remember Gagner making all of his two part DSers a 40 F or maybe even a 60F.  It was no where near a 30F. :))

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

~Tonya ~
on 6/9/13 11:31 pm - Tucson, AZ
Revision on 05/08/13

I had a 32F Bougie, and my sleeve was intended to be a "stand alone" surgery.  I'm very happy with what I can eat right now.  I eat "small normal" amounts, 7 years out.  For example, a McDonalds Fillet o Fish sandwich and 1/2 serving of a regular fries would be a comfortably filling meal.  I don't feel the need to graze or eat between meals.  I did regain about half of the 130 lbs I lost with the sleeve, so I had a "revision" or the second half of a two stage DS.  My surgeon chose 125 cm for my common channel.  He felt that with only about 70lbs to lose, that would be fine for me, with fewer problems down the road.  

Tonya

Lap VSG March 11th 2006, Converted to DS May 8th 2013

From 294 to 165 with Sleeve, regained to 238, then had DS

LadyLucky
on 6/11/13 2:05 pm - KS
Tonya,
How has that combo worked for you? Seems that mine will be similar, even the revision part. Have you lost what you wanted? Any bathroom issues?
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 978 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 440 views