HAS ANYONE HAD DS SURGERY REVERSED TO GASTRIC SLEEVE?

robertabreton
on 5/6/13 3:25 pm - WA

I am having such a bad time with gas that I'm thinking I may want to have my duodeum (sp?) put back in place once i get the rest of my weight off. I am worried about absorption issues, etc. I'm still losing weight (half off at 6 mo) but I cannot imagine living this way for the rest of my life . I went to a movie last wk for the first time since ds and spent half the time outside because of gas. I ate nothing at  the movie. Sometimes I am fine, but can't trust to be  so. I can't be around others for fear I'll stink them out. 

MajorMom
on 5/6/13 7:01 pm - VA

I'm so sorry. I'm guessing you've tried to eliminate flour and sugar and other carbs from your diet?  I know of 2 or 3 that have had things reversed but it was due to malnutrition brought on by diarrhea that couldn't be controlled. It doesn't happen often but it can. Perhaps a round or 2 of Flagyl might set things straight? What does your doc say?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MsBatt
on 5/6/13 11:12 pm

I too was pretty gassy at 6 months out. Now, I pretty much only fart in the morning when I'm having a BM. Part of that is due to learning what my body does and doesn't like, but it's also partly due to TIME and my guts adapting.

Give your body time. Things WILL get better, IF you listen to your guts and are mindful about what you put into them. If you can post a few days' menus here, maybe someone can help you pin-point the culprits.

Julie R.
on 5/7/13 1:52 am - Ludington, MI

Could you please give us an example of a typical day's diet for you?   That might help us help you.   At almost seven years out, if I stay away from gluten and some forms of sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup) I am virtually fart-free.     Also, things that gave me gas years back no longer give me gas now.    

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

celticfaery
on 5/7/13 4:19 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Definitely try an elimination diet to see if something is causing the excess gas.  For me, it's gluten and refined carbs.  Even some gluten free stuff can cause MAJOR issues so I really have to limit that as well.

Another suggestion.  Read all the labels on your vitamins.  Make sure that all of them state that they are gluten free.  I was reading up on one of the ones I had been taking and many vitamin companies use gluten as a filler.  Sure enough, several of the ones I was taking listed gluten on the list of ingredients.  Now I make sure EVERYTHING I take is gluten free and I've had no issues since.

I would like to think that for many of us DSers the gas issue is fairly controllable.  I just have to be very mindful about what makes me gassy and just stay away from those things.

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

PattyL
on 5/7/13 6:53 am

Half off at 6 months is normal, not extreme weight loss.  You are still new and it's too early to assume what you have today is the rest of your life.  It will still change.  I am 10 years postop and I don't have more gas now than I had before surgery.  Sometimes it's stinkier than preop though.  But still very controllable. 

There have been cases where the switch part has been undone and put back together.  Usually because of extreme weight loss or malabsorbtion issues that couldn't be otherwise resolved.  It's not very common but I can remember 2 or 3.  It would be logical to assume these folks probably gained back all the weight but they haven't been around to say one way or another.

Take the steps to find out what is causing this problem.  It is most likely something you are eating.  Or not eating!

beemerbeeper
on 5/7/13 6:59 am - AL

Start with a long round of Flagyl.  Then make sure you've cut any possible offenders out of your diet.  It really is doable, finding what causes yours and controlling it.  I know it is horrible now, but it can get much better.

For me, it takes Flagyl if I ever get really out of sinc, then I eat a lot of yogurt and stay away from gluten.  That pretty much keeps my gas tolerable.  I still have some, but EVERYBODY has some.

~Becky

robertabreton
on 5/10/13 6:51 am - WA

Thanks for the info. I used Oregano oil  &  It  worked well. Thanks

Valerie G.
on 5/10/13 6:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There is a period of trial and error to determine what foods you can tolerate.  I agree with the elimination diet.  You can do everything at once, or one group at a time.  The common things:

Regular milk (even though other dairy causes no issue - but some tolerate very little dairy at all) - this may includ whey protein, too.

Gluten - Beware especially of whole wheat bread, especially, for they add extra gluten to it.  I've gone back to Italian bread for my daily toast, and have no problem at all now.

Yogurt - eat it!  I notice a distinct difference when I've gone too long without enjoying any yogurt.  The live cultures are a great probiotic benefit.

Some veggies or legumes may affect you now differently than other days.

Artificial Sweeteners - if you're substituting to kick a sugar habit, this can wreak havoc, from baked goods, to hard candy to gum.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

robertabreton
on 5/10/13 4:22 pm - WA

I'm  using cream.  No legumes. will try elimm.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views